or Connect

Posts by Dragonfly

I hope this is the appropriate place. I'm trying very hard not to spend money unnecessarily. I'd like to hang photos in my house and don't want to pay out the nose for frames. Can anyone recommend an interesting and inexpensive alternative?
Quote: Originally Posted by Marsupialmom I really can go on with these stories. These are people we know. People can be mean. When you hear women tell their stories please, please remember there are 2 parts to the story. Please remember their are many good dad's, like moms, that struggle and get screwed by the system. Then there are many lousy dads and moms. I definitely agree with this. However, it doesn't change the fact that the...
Quote: Originally Posted by slylives OP - I have some experience of the feelings you have. I acknowledged them, discussed them at length with my husband, and we worked at it. (And this was before we even had children.) Now that I am a parent, I cannot even fathom - really, cannot even contemplate - breaking apart our home because I felt a lack of connection, as it were. I believe there is a marked difference between lack of connection and...
I'm in the same boat. I just bought these recently: Loose in the Lab Seriously Funny Science I LOVE them. Seriously, LOVE. And he loves them, too.
LilyGrace, does Writing Tales leave the subject matter of the story to be written child open-ended? I've been looking for a grammar/language arts curriculum to at least use as a guide and it sounds like this might be something he would enjoy. I know he wouldn't enjoy it so much, though, if he were told what to write about.
Quote: Originally Posted by Leta Why learn grammar? Because it's FUN, of course! I used to get in trouble for diagramming sentences during math. I still think diagramming a sentence is more fun than a crossword. It's totally fun. /dork
Quote: Originally Posted by Crafty Come high school, I took Spanish, and suddenly, all that grammar made absolute sense. I never got anything less than an A in any foreign language class I ever took, and a HUGE part of that was because I'd learned English grammar so well. I knew what a direct object was and how/when/where to use it or place it in a sentence. I was going to say the same thing. Having a thorough understanding of grammar has...
Quote: With the coop he made three cuts in different places, and the only way to fix it would have been to take all the wire off and replace it. We can't afford that much new wire (we're talking close to $100) and there is no way ds would been physically able to replace it. Did you engage him in figuring this out? I think there's a lot of value in a kid understanding the work that goes into determining how you're going to fix what he's done, even if...
Quote: Originally Posted by heartmama How to say this gently: The degree of adult emotion, energy, and attention given to this issue is far and away the most urgent problem. I think it is extremely unhealthy for a small child to be exposed to this level of "drama" for being childish in the first instance and perhaps due to the way his father responded, tempted to deliberately engage in a power struggle in the second instance. I would drop the entire...
I've had the same question so this thread is very timely. Lillian, you're an amazing resource. Thanks again.