or Connect

Posts by Dragonfly

I wouldn't mind piecing it together. In my experience, you rarely find everything you need in life in one place. He's a very creative, hands-on kid, and I'd love curricula that is geared more toward his style of learning, but I'm comfortable using whatever I find as a springboard for structuring our own - just setting the stage for us to explore, I suppose. I'm expecting some resistance from his father, too, so I think having a curriculum in place will thwart that...
My son is 8 and currently in 2nd grade in our local public school. For a variety of reasons, it's not the right place for him. I'm a homeschooler at heart. I've always wanted to homeschool him. But I'm also a single mom who has to work full time. Fortunately, I've now reached the point where I can work almost entirely from home. I think I should be able to structure my day to have a big chunk in the late morning to middle afternoon free - probably around 5 hours. ...
I would highly recommend you consult with an attorney who is familiar with international custody situations before you put anything in writing and before you file anything with a U.S. court. You want to ensure that you are not going to do anything that is going to bind you and your child to the U.S. for jurisdictional purposes. The attorney may advise you that it's best to file a custody agreement here. S/he may also advise you that it's best to wait until you are back...
Quote: Originally Posted by TheBluebird If ex doesn't file and take his court allowed credit that doesn't legally give ANYONE (including you) to take it instead. They have no right to do this. That's debatable. The child is someone's dependent under the tax law and if s/he is not being rightly claimed by one parent, s/he can be claimed by the other. If there's a court order specifying who claims who, then the parent claiming the non-ordered...
I'm there with you. My goal for this year is to pay off the bulk of my consumer debt so I can focus entirely on saving and paying off student loan debt next year. I have until July when my student loans come out of forbearance to put a big dent in it. So, for the next six months, my goal is no unnecessary spending. And if I absolutely feel the need to treat myself/us, then I have to sell something (yarn, books, etc.) to replace the money I used.
I live in an area (metro DC) that doesn't usually get hit hard by economic decline - at least not initially. Everyone I know here is doing fine, though certainly tightening the pursestrings, just in case. Some people I know in other areas are not doing so well. I'm so thankful for my stabile (knocking on wood here) government job since I'm the only adult in my household and it's all on me - very glad right now that I didn't make the leap to the private sector when I...
Quote: Originally Posted by Mountaingirl79 Hmmmm....Amazon is a way better way to sell books. They don't take a fee to list, they only take their commission when your item sells. I've been finding Amazon fees to be pretty unreasonable, too. Half.com is definitely better, though not as widely used anymore, it seems, so there's probably no winning.
It's illegal for them to accept cash gifts of any amount. I believe they can accept retail gift cards under $20 as long as they can't be cashed out. You can also give perishable items - baked goods, that sort of thing. I don't leave gifts because, being a federal employee, I understand that there's a lot of confusion about the ethics rules surrounding gifts and a lot of anxiety about breaking them because of not understanding them fully. It's a very kind thought, but I...
Quote: Originally Posted by weliveintheforest I don't think there is anything wrong with using the word, but wouldn't expect to be understood and obeyed by a 7 month old, or even a 13 month old (my ds). I would try to say "hot" or "danger" or whatever is relevant, and then just keep redirecting. I agree. 7 months is really just way too young to expect him to avoid dangers. It's not too young to start teaching him about the dangers, though,...