or Connect

Posts by laralou

Having a hard night. I am anticipating an attack from someone (their pattern of behavior says this will happen) and I am physically ill waiting for it. I could totally use some advice. I know she can't really hurt me if I don't accept what she says about me. But I have to deal with her on at least a biannual basis and every time she is so mean to me it makes me sick. I think the anticipation is the worst part of it. Dh wants me to not worry about it. How can I do...
Quote: Originally Posted by mightymoo At this point, I'm so upset by this thread I burst into tears explaining it to DH earlier, so I would like to ask that we just bring the discussion to a close because I just can't emotionally take this anymore. DH asked me to stop reading the thread because I'm getting too depressed about it. I hear you and I've been there many times before, where even my child was being judged, so I try not to post my...
We don't use sitters, but I do sit for kids. If I do it hourly, I would charge at least $10/hour if I have to drive. Gas is $3 a gallon. But I usually do a day rate if it is in my house. People pay it. The only way to get someone for less than $10 here is to get a teenager.
I was shopping today and saw a woman trying to shop with her son. He was acting a lot like the autistic children I work with. She did such a great job of keeping her cool and still getting done what she needed to do. I wanted to say something nice to her, but I couldn't think of anything that didn't sound lame or like I was a weirdo. I just know my cousin (whose son is autistic) said she gets so many negative comments about her son that it would be nice to hear...
Michelle, have you seen these (my cousin who has a child with autism cried for joy when I showed her this link, sometimes she gets tired of having to educate the world and it is nice to have a card to do it for you): http://www.buttonsandmore.com/cards/ulthm.htm Hey, kchoffmann, I went off on an old lady who called my son (no special needs) names for riding in the grocery cart the wrong way. I was pregnant and had cancer and I didn't feel she got a pass for being a...
Ds has recently decided I am "uncool". His explanation: Today when we were eating out I said "floppityfloppity" in a silly voice and he said, "Mom, this is exactly why you embarrass me and why you are not cool." I thought about it and realized, when I was 13 I would have been embarrassed if my mom was as silly as I am now. But sheesh, I also have 4yos, so I am expected to be silly to be "cool" to them. Ok it is a no win situation. I think you can just decide...
Not cocky. They are jealous. When I used to do really well in school, people got ticked that I messed up the bell curve and they got worse grades. I was like, "Wahhh. I studied for 5 hours last night while you were partying."
Quote: Originally Posted by karina5 I just saw a woman and a little baby get in a car and the baby was not in a car seat. Now, often, I am a "to each their own" type of person, but this sort of bugged me. I am pretty pro-carseats for safety. But, they can't be seen, and therefore, probably won't be caught. If I see a young child in a moving vehicle not in a carseat, I call the police with the location, make, model, color and license plate.
Quote: Originally Posted by hillymum I guess the reason my nose is out of joint is I feel he is leaving me with the "work" while he goes off to have fun. I think this is a valid reason to have your nose out of joint. I don't like getting left at home when dh goes out to have fun, especially when it isn't reciprocated. But I would like it if dh would leave when one of the kids is sick. My dh always pushes me out of the way and takes...
Quote: Originally Posted by mightymoo I agree with the sentiment, but I am not sure how to execute on this. What I mean is - when my brother comes to me and says 'We are thinking of doing X, what do you think?' - and I see that X will cause Y and problems down the road, am I supposed to say 'X is great, enjoy!' and watch Y happen and just pretend I didn't see it coming? I think if you offer how it will impact you, that is fine ("oh gosh, I...