or Connect

Posts by debe

Not of Ottawa- Thinking of coming over from Vancouver- Ottawa is an idea for a few specific reasons, I will not go into here, but it may be needed.   I am very specific about needs for my child's schooling. We have a democratic free school here that is publicly funded. I love the school and its community. I looked up democratic schools and there appear to be only two in existence in all of Canada, ours, and Alpha School in Toronto. Toronto is four or five hours...
I know this is years old. It is the only reference to Ottawa and alternative schools that resulted from a search... Are there schools of the democratic or free  type in Ottawa? I could find only a couple listed on the AERO site for all of Canada. I thought there must be others flying under the radar...I hoped. Currently, Daughter is in Windsor House in North Vancouver, BC. We love it. But - Vancouver has lost its gleam through gentrification and greed. I have to get...
[[SPOILER]] Anything humans do is normal human behaviour. Common is another thing alrogether.My daughter only just self weaned at age 5 and some months. Sometimes I wish that nursing was still an option during times of distress. Here is a "huzzah" for you.HUZZAH!
Is a child partially vaccinated - non vaccinated at risk being around someone who has been living in Bali and traveling throughout Thailand and other Asian countries? At present this child is under requested quarantine for Measles, though I am confident that she does not have it- we are waiting for test results from CDC.
I do not know if I was really very clear- I am not trying to say you should do anything- like stay home or homeschool or or whatever- I think rereading my post that it looks like I am suggesting that - I just mean to say that there is some really good information on theose sites- but they just happen to be a certain type of site---
I agree with what fbsurvivor has written about the reward/punishment thing- it goes along with the Alfie Kohn recommendation mentioned earlier. I would also like to add John Holt in there. I know it may seem slightly off topic as he is most known to unschooling folks, but it seems that being an intelligent person makes it sometimes to really hard to fit in and to figure out ones space/place/dynamic in places that feel so insensitive. Maybe some activities as could be found...
I am sorry I have no answer- I am having very similar problems though I do not have the added issue of pregnancy. I was hoping to read some reply comments with clever ideas- I know the repeating something to the child is something I have avoided but now find as you mentioned- saying it numerous times- really I have only been muddling through and feeling like a failure...like these screaming tantrums are going to make me crazy- singing used to work - now it is maybe...
that is how my illness began- itchy throat post nasal drip cough- got worse then faded- then came again and faded- headache was there too before the the throat thing- Sorry I have no more to help.
I live in North Vancouver BC. I do not have a car. Most of my shopping is local. Local sometimes means my local store has stuff that is imported. I do not shop at at Walmart. The reasons are all stated above and though as one poster noted, Walmart does not care if I shop there or not, that is fine. Most of what I have as power is where I put my money. They do not get any of my small amount of money. I do not shop any fast food restaurant, ever. Oh wait, I guess you...
Len; Thanks for the input - I have not, or I have forgotten that I have, heard about lifeways. I did download the Waldorf bulletin about a month ago (give or take a few weeks), but not recently... Right now I am looking at Park Place across from the cap mall. There is a lot of plastic and such, but my little girl really took to it, and the instructors right away. They do have a park right out back that they take the kids out to a few times a day. I also noted the way they...