or Connect

Posts by Jennyfur

DD14 and DS14 both had the flu this winter & each missed 1 respective day of school because of that. They were lucky (?) to be sick over the weekend. DD10 probably missed 2 days due to illness, though I can't recall exactly. I don't allow my kids to miss school for trips, and we've been lucky not to have any family emergencies.
It's so rough for the first month or so, trying to get into the new routine of a larger family. Your DS2 really has a lot going on alll at once. I think things will settle down within the next couple of weeks, and it sounds right now as if you're doing everything right.
Yup! I have 3 daughters and 1 son, and I hope that my son marries someone wonderful who will accept and love me (and I hope to love her in return)!
Quote: Originally Posted by AverysMomma Honey, I have a ten month old, I totally get the mamabear feelings...I understand why it bugged you...but I think you need to remember something about grandmas: They are women, mothers, just like you. She held her baby, rocked him and hummed softly. She felt that same mama bear instinct that made her worry endlessly about your DH when he was tiny. All those special moments you love and the things about your new...
Rarely. I was spanked as a child, but I hated it, so when my kids were younger it didn't occur to me to spank. Instead, I often had the urge to lose my temper and yell, so I still had something I had to restrain myself from doing!
Quote: Originally Posted by Marsupialmom She has lost her mp3 player for the day because of being snotty. She had it up so loud. DD8 asked her to turn it down. DD11 didn't respond. So DD8 touched her to get her attention (DD11 is also hard of hearing. She has to have it louder but sometimes that means she needs to move herself. I have told my other kids get over it sometimes because she has no other option.) DD8 asked her to turn it down or go into...
Here are my thoughts. The relationship between my 10-year-old and 14-year-old girls has been up and down for a few years. My DD14 is the sweetest, nicest kid, until she interacts with her younger sister--and then she can be a total, er, pill. I won't tolerate rudeness in the home. Family harmony is extremely important to me (and to the kids, I believe). I insist that they speak kindly to each other and apologize if they've mistreated one another, and I have in...
We're both firm.
We have a "no electronics" rule during the week (Monday to Thursday), which means that other than using the computer for school and checking e-mail, there's no TV, video games, etc. The kids don't have restrictions on the weekends (Friday afternoon to Sunday night), although we'll kick them off the computer if we think it's become excessive (along the lines of, "You've been on long enough & I'm afraid your brains are about to melt"). This arrangement has worked very well...
Honestly, I remember that they are emotionally vulnerable and not entirely in control of those emotions, much as when they were toddlers. And I also have learned to take deep breaths and NOT engage when they are upset. Knowing how to take some time before returning to deal with an issue has been extremely helpful. Also, I constantly remember/realize how quickly time flies & how quiet and empty the house will be when they are all grown up. I will miss even the fiery...