or Connect

Posts by Jennyfur

Personally, I consider preteen to be ages 9-12.
My kids still at home are 14, 14 and 10. We do not permit any screen or electronics time during the school week. This means no computer games, no TV, no PS2 or Wii, etc. They can use the computer for schoolwork and e-mail as necessary. They don't have access to IM, MySpace or Facebook at all. On Fridays through Sundays, I don't put limits on electronics, provided they get all their schoolwork done. I might get a little twitchy if they've been in front of a screen for...
I hear you on the clutchy preteen. My youngest child has always needed lots of snuggle time. For the most part, I give it to her, because she's my baby and I know how quickly time flies. My oldest graduated from college last spring. However, I'd suggest two things. One, I think you should request that your DD be more verbal and polite about asking for her snuggle time. Two, I think you might want to establish some sort of routine so she can anticipate when you...
I passed all the baby books to my sibs or friends with babies.
My twins are 14. Because I don't permit my children to watch TV or play on the computer during the week, they often veg out on the weekends. They have a decent amount of HW on the weekends that they complete, as well as long-term school projects. They arrange get-togethers with friends. My daughter likes to have friends over and she's always happy to get a ride to the movies or the mall. My son plays volleyball on Sunday afternoons in a club league. Since they get...
Our oldest graduated from college in May & finally got her first "real" job. We are permitting her to live at home rent-free for at least the first year out of college. After that, we'll charge her just under market rate. Probably in this area, that will be around $300.
Quote: Originally Posted by amydidit That's pretty much what I've done. All those songs on the computers have been removed, none of it on her MP3 player, etc. I just wish she would understand. But she doesn't. And I do believe a lot of this is from her friends saying it's not a big deal. That's one reason why I want to give her better songs to listen to. Start leading her away from stuff like that. Until she's better prepared to know what is and isn't a...
Anecdotal information only, but DH and I had a 50/50 split with my SD, and we raised her that way from the time she was 2 until she went off to college. She's now 22, healthy and happy, and she has close, loving relationships with her bio-mom and bio-dad, plus her sibs and me. We alternated Friday to Friday, because it gave her a weekend to ease into the routine. We thought it was important that she had two homes, not one main home and one place to visit.
I agree with the others that a 14-year-old shouldn't need any help. All my children got their braces on quite young (8-10), and they were handling their own issues (expanders, headgear, retainers, meds for tightening pain, loose wires) independently in no time. I still help my 10-year-old with attaching the back of her headgear, but mainly because it requires a strong hand. She gets the front part in by herself. Try to teach your son to be as scrupulous as possible...
FWIW, there is some pressure now on boys to remove their body hair. Teen girls like for guys to have smooth chests and backs, and I can tell you as someone who has a husband who gets his back waxed that the phenomenon is widespread. My 14-year-old son has pretty hairy legs, and his twin sister has commented on them before. I laughed and asked her if he should shave them, just being silly, and she said that many of the teen boys in her school did shave their legs! ...