or Connect

Posts by Jennyfur

No, no boyfriends (or girlfriends) at home without parents around. I trust my children not to break the house rules (one rule is no dating until 16 in the first place), and my trust has been rewarded so far. I have to say I'm surprised by how many people say the teens they know are determined to have sex. Am I the only dork here?? I didn't have sex until I was in college, and it was with my now-husband--not b/c I'm religious or "pure" (I'm an atheist, FWIW), but...
My 9 1/2-year-old 4th grader has extremely dark hair that grows very thick on her arms and legs (and face). For the last few years, I've used a personal trimmer on her upper lip and between her brows and on her forehead (she gets hair that grows from her brows up to her hairline). She asked me about 6 months ago if she could shave, and I taught her how. She's still too young to feel comfortable, though, so now I do it for her when she feels she wants it done. She...
I pay allowance based on $1/grade level. For example, my twin eighth-graders get $8/week, and my fourth-grader gets $4/week. I pay on a monthly basis (otherwise I forget to pay every week!). Allowances are not tied to chores or behavior.
The Mayo Clinic has some good advice about teens and sleep: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/teens-health/CC00019 I liked this recommendation: Go with the flow. Let your teen fall asleep at his or her natural bedtime for a few nights — no matter how late it may be — but insist on a fixed wake-up time. Then move the bedtime back by 10 to 15 minutes each night until you reach a reasonable bedtime.
Quote: Originally Posted by BedHead Yes but by then they won't have the teenage brain thing happening any more and it will be much easier for them. Here's what bugs me about the teenage brain thing, and I have read the studies. For millennia no doubt, young adults woke up early. Teens weren't a cosseted group. They were working on farms, and helping the family, and often they were marrying young and having families themselves. So if...
Quote: Originally Posted by MamaLisa1 I do let her walk around the mall with a friend or her sister as long as she checks in with me every 30 minutes via cell phone. I do let her go bowling with friends, or roller skating...without me being there. It's normally for about 2 hours. I also let her go to the movies with friends. I do the same with my 13-year-olds. My teens don't have cell phones yet, but their friends...
Personally, I'm an extreme night owl. I go to bed at 8:00 a.m. or so and sleep while my kids are in school, then wake up around 2:30 p.m. But my kids have been in full-time school for years, and they can't/don't sleep in on the weekends b/c of the habit of getting up early. My 13-year-olds have a weekday bedtime of 9:30 p.m., but it's usually more like 10:00 for DD13 by the time she's all ready. On the weekends, they can stay up until 11:00, but it's often closer...
I'm a Jennifer and I love it. I love all the diminutives (Jen, Jenny, Nifer ) and I thought it was great that I was one of many Jennifers. As an adult, I go out sometimes with a group of moms, and more than half of us are Jennifers.
I would definitely make her wear something that eliminates the "pointiness," but that something wouldn't have to be a bra. I had the same concern when my DD was 11, and she didn't like the way bras felt. She's 13 now, and she still doesn't like bras. I asked again recently if she wanted to get some, and she said she didn't. She wears either sports bras (Jockey makes a ton of different kinds, with different thicknesses, colors, and styles) or cami tanks with a "bra...
Sorry, no firsthand advice. My son is 13 and, aside from having to shave for a while now and having BO, has no other signs of puberty.