or Connect

Posts by Jennyfur

Quote: Originally Posted by RubyWild What do you do while they're asleep? Everything and anything--read, watch shows, clean, work in the office (I run a marketing company), go online, shop (some stores are open 24 hours), hang out with my DH (he goes to bed around 3-4 a.m.), you name it.
Quote: Originally Posted by mammal_mama I just don't set as much importance on the correct placing of every "Please" and "Thank you." A child (or adult) who likes my meatloaf and says, "That's delicious! Can I have another helping?" and then gives me a big smile as I pass the food (but says nothing else), is in my book absolutely courteous, and needs no correcting at all. Then we're obviously different in that regard. Luckily, we don't live in...
Quote: Originally Posted by mamasi That's a hard title to understand: here's what I mean. My 8 year-old son is a capable reader--he read Eragon and Eldest over the summer and loved them (or is obsessed with them--LOL!). I have put out on a table all kinds of other related options (Lloyd Alexander, Cornelia Funke and tons more) and he refuses to try any of them. Instead he rereads old favorites over and over. Should I just let it go? Should I try...
Yes, my kids have to go no matter what, barring serious illness. I don't believe in mental health days, either. School is only open something like 185 days out of 365. They can handle that for 7 hours a day.
I would want a phone call!
Quote: Originally Posted by earthmama369 My parents gave me plenty of freedom and responsibility as a teen, but they never would have let me go to a party where they knew people would be breaking the law, especially something that could so easily have legal repercussions for me. And secretly, I was relieved. It was much easier to say my parents wouldn't let me go than take the social fall for not going myself, and I think my parents were happy to be my...
I also wanted to point out that I consider manners to be "social grease," and I want to smooth the way for my kids as much as possible. I react negatively to kids who don't use proper manners, and I don't want adults to have those negative reactions to my children.
Quote: Originally Posted by athansor I don't know how to answer, but I had pretty good grades in HS, which paid for my undergrad degree. Then my grades in my B.S. program were good enough for a master's degree, and even after a 10 year layoff from school, to get into a good PhD program. Now I have a faculty position, which is what I've always wanted to do. So, if my grades were worse, I wouldn't be in the good position I'm in now, however, since they...
My family is German, and it's very common over there.
ETA: Robert, you're obviously very cynical about the process, so I don't think it's worthwhile "selling" you. If college didn't ignite a love of learning for you, I'm sorry. I'm sure it's different for everyone.