or Connect

Posts by mamapajama

Thanks everyone for your kind replies. I do have him signed up for a social skills class, but it doesn't start until the fall. Ds really doesn't fit into any category well. I think the best way to describe him is that he is unable to control himself when there is too much stimulation. For him, too much stimulation is one child. There are a lot less problems if he knows the child very well. We do have a few wonderful people in our life who see my ds for the sweer...
My ds who is soon to be 6 has such a hard time getting along with other children. This is our biggest issue and has been since he was 3. It gets a little better here and there. Some days are definitely better than others. But overall, he is nowhere near what I would consider "normal" when it comes to social skills. He gets angry and hits and teases and says hurtful things all the time. A happy playdate does not exist in my world. If whoever he is playing with...
It''s so nice to hear these great stories. I have had so many problems with my MIL over the years, and it so complicated as to who is the responsible party, and so confusing as to how to help everyone get along. I grew up with girls, and while I am close to my mother, my sister is not. So I know it goes both ways, and I Know a lot of it is stereotype. But, It is so nice to actually hear these stories and not just imagine that they exist.
I think that a lot of Mom/son issues result from traditional male upbringing, in which the male is not encouraged to form attachment for fear of being a "Mama's boy". My boys are being raised without being chided for being attached and they are raised to show personal responsibility like with cooking and housekeeping. I know it sounds weird but I swear so much has to do with attachment and our culture's tendency to discourage attachment in male children.[/QUOTE] ITA...
Quote: Originally Posted by Tigerchild My MIL is the mother I wish I had. She is not intrusive, lets us know she's willing to lend a hand anytime without being pushy, she respects "my territory" even though to be honest I would be able to share my home and my kids with her without a second thought--perhaps because she does hold me with an open hand. She has gently given me advice (never unasked, but I wouldn't be suprised if she guided me into...
Go google "mother and son relationships and you will be horrified" at the endless pages of "I hate my MIL", and "sons grow up to abandon their famiilies of origin" while daughters are moms best friend etc. Well, I grew up in a family of all girls, and I have a crazy MIL so I have seen nothing to refute this stereotype that boys I love and nurture will grow up to marry some woman who hates me, and will call me once a year on mothers day. Please refute the stereotype for...
Thanks so much for all your supportive replies. I am so appreciative of all you wonderful women so willing to share your stories with someone you don't even know. I am so happy to be part of this community. I really have been unable to make a decision. As soon as I feel like I've made my choice I change my mind again. I really feel so stuck, and sad, and I am so hormonal I am having a hard time thinking clearly. I will be 38 next month, and so for me, this is a...
Have you heard this quote before? As the mom of two boys and no girls, I find this to be very upsetting. There seems to be this pervasive belief that girls grow up and stick around and stay close to thier moms but boys don't. Just the other day my sister in law said that of course her children would be closer to her mom than her husbands mom. It makes me so sad. What, I'm raising boys, so that they can grow up and get married, and then that's it. It becomes all about...
I have 2 very spirited boys almost 6 and almost 4, and I am often completely overwhelmed. I am SAHM and we homeschool. My house is tiny, we have one car, and bam suddenly I am pregnant with number 3. This is a total accident. I am so upset. I am about to be 38 years old and I can't even imagine going through another pregnancy, little baby, etc. Part of me says no way and then part of me days oh, what if it was a girl? And then larger parts of me say: we have no...
Thanks everyone. Really it is only me that is bothered by anything in the homeschool group. As my boys have gotten older it has been easier, and I personally don't think either one of their behaviors is outrageous or weird or not normal. I just feel like the expectations of the few families I am involved with are very rigid. I organize a ton of stuff for this group, and they all come so I definitely see enough of them. My children do have lots of friends who go to...