or Connect

Posts by rosesarered

My DD goes to a friend's house once a week for 5 hrs while I work. She has been going there since she was about two, she is 4.5 now. My friend is an amazing parent, I really look up to her in many ways. The whole family has really taken in my DD and made her feel at home. We often have a difficult time leaving their house at the end of the day. Things had gotten better as the girls got older (my friend has a 5 yo DD and a 2 yr DS.) Recently though! The running...
I am reading Kids, Parents and Power Struggles by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka. One part that is really resonating with me is about teaching kids to be assertive vs aggressive. My 4yo DD has been really sassy and demanding lately. The whole "You are mean!", "I don't want to be your friend" business. The author notes that learning to get and use power is a critical stage in a child's emotional development, and this stage usually begins at about 4. Does that seem to be...
Thanks for the input. The recall was about the side rail collapsing. I have decided I really don't feel comfortable with a baby using it. The idea for a puppy pen might work (with full disclosure and a repair kit.) Or returning it to BRU. Or maybe I'll just hand it to the garbage men. Thanks.
We have a playyard from when dd was little that I was planning to sell in a yard sale last weekend. I checked for recalls before I put it out for sale and of course it has been recalled. There are repair kits to fix the problem, but I'm not sure what to do. I'd love to get some cash for it, but should it be discounted because of the recall? Would anyone buy a recalled item even with a repair kit avail? Should I just put it in the alley with a note that it has...
You have already received some excellent advice from pps. Can you switch the belief a little? I heard this story from a mama that might help. She had an abortion when she was younger and not ready to be a parent. Years later she had a child. The kid (I want to say the kid was about 4 yrs old) started telling her a story about being in "her tummy" before, when the mama wasn't ready. And how the child went "back" to wait until the mama was ready for her. What my...
Thanks for adding the boy perspective lolagirl. I think that was what was so upsetting when she started to say she didn't like boys. If the situation was reversed, say a boy told her she couldn't play because she was a girl, I would have been very quick to be clear girls and boys can do the same things. When she says only girls can play with her toys, I ask her how she would feel if a boy told her she couldn't play because she was a girl. She usually answers she...
Oh yes. My now 4 yo DD went through this. It started one day at the playground....Some older boys were playing a very involved Pirate game and didn't pay too much attention to the other children on the playground. I think DD might have gotten knocked down or just scared by a rush of bigger kids headed her way. But after that she was pretty adament about only playing with girls. She started preschool this year and although she still says "only girls can play with my...
One thing that has helped us is playing pretend. For example, we pretend we are going on a jet plane. DD has to get all buckled in before take off. And then we "zoom" down the road and take off. Another scenario dd really likes is Princess. The car is the coach and horses. She usually stops to pick some food for the horses on the way, but gets in fairly quickly once the horses are feed. I am always amazed how readily my dd responds to a playful solution vs me...
Any recommended readings to help me better understand DP's bipolar disorder? He was dx about 6 yrs ago, right when we were getting to know each other so I haven't really known him non-medicated. He takes trileptal without problems, until recently. Now he has some raging episodes, particularly bad this weekend. So any advice/good resources? Thanks.
The idea of doing insems at an office or with a midwife is sometimes advised to show intent, in case custody issues come up later on. I don't know that it gives you any offical legal protection (at least in most places). And it may be hard to find a doctor willing to use fresh sperm from a donor for insems because of liability issues (not being able to say for sure the sperm is free of stis ect). I hope that helps! I bet you'll be able to find a helpful midwife in the...