or Connect

Posts by ChristaN

I'd agree with the pp.  I, as I mentioned earlier, was bullied terribly particularly in junior high.  Looking back, I'm sure that some of it was due to my dressing differently, speaking somewhat differently, being very sensitive, and having moved from a different state where fashions, etc. were younger.  Moving when we went to high school helped quite a bit b/c it gave me a fresh start but I understand why you want to work it out in the current classroom and you make...
Quote: What test are they using?  I've known kids with average or high average IQ scores who hit the point needed to get into GT programs on group tests (kids who've taken both group tests and individual IQ tests) and kids who have sky high IQ scores whose group test scores weren't high enough to get into GT classes at schools.   What little you posted might indicate a gifted child; it might not.  I would never venture to guess whether someone is gifted unless they...
Is there any possibility of switching him to a different 1st grade class after the winter break to give him a fresh start with a different social group?  If that is something you want to consider, I'd make it clear to the teacher that it isn't a request for a different teacher, but a chance for him to get a start with different kids who haven't already formed a negative opinion of him.   I, like you, had some years in school where I was terribly bullied and what I...
That would likely be the Women's Clinic.  My first birth which was with CNM's there years ago (probably not even the same CNMs!) was much too interventionist for my hopes as well.  I switched to Woman Care for my second and had a birthing experience that was much more in lines with what I had hoped.  I'd second trying Woman Care if you need/want a hospital birth with a CNM.  
It sounds like you have an answer with which you are comfortable, but I'm going to chime it a bit as well :).  We, too, avoid processed soy and isolated soy proteins when at all possible.  I've been vegan for about 23 yrs and was, obviously, vegan through both pregnancies as a result as my girls are 11 and 13 now.  I, too, am not sure about the exact article your doctor read, but I did do some research about soy a few years back when an online publication asked me to...
My oldest skipped the last year of elementary (5th) so also a transition year and she was also the youngest in grade pre-skip.  She's a few months older than your dd (turned 13 a couple weeks into the school year this year) and is now a 9th grader.  She actually sounds a bit like your dd academically as well.  She could easily handle the work in higher level courses in pretty much all areas except for math.  She's currently in geometry and might be okay in Algebra II...
Isn't it nice to have unanimous agreement amongst the responders?  I'm with everyone else: take him out now.   My dd13 had a really horrible first grade year and, like a pp said, the way a young child handles an untenable emotional situation isn't going to look like good behavior.  Yours is acting out in class and hitting; mine sat at her desk crying in class (which is highly atypical for her b/c she is very private) and told me that she wished she had never been...
Ouch!  My dd13 had a similar rigid teacher who gave tons of drill in 1st grade.  Her teacher wasn't insinuating that dd was behind academically, which honestly I have a hard time with that assertion this early in school anyway, but the effect on dd's love of learning was very similar.  My dd was a mess -- crying, working at the pace of a snail, anxious, and hated reading b/c they had to read the same books over and over to improve their reading.  This is a kiddo who has...
I don't believe that the OP said that she was attempting to raise her dd as a raw vegan.  The article you posted states that the author has never seen a healthy raw, vegan child and that those who claim to have them are lying.  I can't speak to raw vegan diets for kids and probably wouldn't go that way for myself or my children, but I did have two vegan pregnancies and had been vegan for 10 yrs prior to the first.  My girls are now 13 and 11 and I'm still vegan (23 yrs...
 That is true in our instance.  Both of my girls are highly gifted and the younger one, the one we starting just a hair early, is twice exceptional.   It's interesting that you bring the gifted aspect up b/c I was thinking about that exact thing after I posted last.  I didn't know that either of my girls was gifted when they started school, but was figuring it out around the time the second started.  I actually think that the significant misunderstanding of what gifted is...