or Connect

Posts by ChristaN

Dh's take on further assessment for dd#2 is this: we either spend the $1300 for the assessment or we send dd to the computer design camp she wants to go to this summer ($700) b/c we can't really afford both. I feel really horrible telling dd that she can't do the camp thing b/c she desperately needs some activities/places to shine that are totally out of her sister's realm -- places where people don't know her sister and compare her and things that her sister doesn't do...
I just wanted to add that I wouldn't be convinced that your dd has a learning disability this early in the game. First grade is awfully young and there are a lot of kids who just aren't ready to read well and focus that well at such a young age. The only reason I'd do the assessment is to rule it out so you know what her needs are going to be. Educational research generally shows that younger kids (like yours) tend to be a little behind academically for the first...
Sorry, I didn't mean that to sound accusatory . In re to private assessments, we've generally had the best luck with licensed psychologists. My oldest was assessed by someone with expertise in gifted kids b/c we were fairly certain that was part of the issue she was having at school (IQ, self esteem, and achievement test, as well as a few other things). We're seriously considering further testing for dd#2 b/c we're concerned about learning disabilities. She's had IQ...
Quote: Originally Posted by KMK_Mama I had a heart to heart with her yesterday and she told me she does NOT want to be in the same grade as her sister and she wants to go to 2nd grade with her friends. But then today after talking to her teacher I told her some of the perks of going into "regular 1st" like being older, being better at reading and then she will know everything better when she goes to 2nd grade the following year and she seemed excited...
Thanks for the link to the sample pgs. I should have seen those when I was on their website earlier . I'm not sure, but I think that the pics at the top of each lesson in the textbooks might suffice as the "whole picture" for dd before the steps are presented. I am at somewhat of a loss as to how to teach her but I've seen what does not work, so I at least know how not to teach her! My inclination is to just get the Singapore text and workbooks for 4A and 4B which...
owlpainter, There are a few of us in Colorado if there is anything we can do to help. I don't have any boys myself (only girls), but am an educator at a hospital and I believe the glongley is a nurse or something in the healthcare field. Yulia_R is in Colorado, too and very knowledgable.
Where we live, the schools will administer group ability tests like the CogAT, but absolutely will not administer an IQ tests unless severe disabilities are suspected (very low IQ, not just learning disabilities). At least that's what I've been told. We've had to pay privately for all testing we've had done. My understanding from people whose kids are in the DYS program is that it is worthwhile, so I'd certainly pursue it if your dd's EXPLORE scores are high enough. ...
Quote: Originally Posted by Bird Girl We are very happy with Singapore math. It shows several different methods for attacking problems, places a high priority on mental math, and is inexpensive; i.e., about $9 for the textbook and $9 for the workbook, two of which are required for a year's study. Since harmonyhobbit mentioned using just the workbooks, what value do you find in having the textbook as well as the workbook? Does it provide methods...
Quote: Originally Posted by SashaBreeze Our 8yod dd is using the 5th grade Teaching Textbook this year and LOVES it! It is a little pricey but if you can swing it (I used income tax return money) its definitely worth the price. http://www.teachingtextbooks.com/ I was just watching the demo video on their website and have a question for you. It appears to me, from the demo at least, that the way problems are presented is pretty standard in...
I looked at the samples on math mammoth and key press and get the impression with both of them that they would probably work fairly well for dd, but I would be inclined to use them as supplements rather than a complete curriculum unless I wanted to piece stuff together myself. If I were more practiced (as in had homeschooled for a while and knew all of what needed to be covered in each grade), I would probably be fine with using either as a complete curriculum, though. I...