or Connect

Posts by Perdita_in_Ontario

I'm Canadian too. My in-laws play this game with all the extended family's little ones. I had never heard of it before seeing them playing it, and we never taught it to DD. She looked at them like they were nuts when they asked her "how big is baby" (her expression was very funny).   We did teach it to DS though, kind of as a joke before a big family gathering. And know what? He adored it! He'd throw his hands up in the air and start laughing uproariously before we'd got...
We had two German Shepherd Dogs when my DD was little - they were 8 when she was born (not littermates; just happened to be the same age). They were magnificent with her. The male was especially gentle - the female had the sweetest temperament I've ever seen in a female GSD but was exuberant even in her old age and we had to be careful she didn't crash into DD.   We are currently dog-less since they died (*sniff!*) and I am a bit cautious about getting a new dog...
My DD went through this at about 4 - it lasted about 6 months. It was awful - we had a couple of nights where she was so uncomfortable she couldn't sleep, but couldn't/wouldn't poop. She did develop encopresis, where liquid stool leaks around the solid stool, and lost sensation in part of her colon/rectum which made it very difficult to pass the stool.   We got past the very worst bout with a dose of Milk of Magnesia, and then at the doctor's recommendation, started...
My son has been using some pink diapers (and a wool soaker I knitted that I didn't realize had pink stripes in the yarn until it was halfway done - don't knit at night LOL) since he was born. It doesn't seem to have affected him negatively yet. :P   I say pick fabric that makes YOU happy. Pink and purple oogas made me happy, so I bought the diaper for my son. My DH sometimes winces a little when he sees him in it, but I don't see the big deal. He also has diapers...
Ha. Well then there's agreement :) I made a whole bunch my first winter of knitting. It was nice to have something so useful at the end :)
I didn't check out the link above, but my first in-the-round project was a roll-brimmed hat. Super-easy. I found the pattern in Knitting for Dummies but I'm sure there's a bunch on Ravelry :)
I'd do gDiapers too. I quite like the system - the velcro isn't the best on them but the nylon liners dry super-quickly and are nice and breathable (I also have a very sensitive-skinned redhead :) ). Those nylon liners can sometimes dry within a couple of hours if it's hot out, and the covers don't hold stink. My son can't handle PUL, so gDiapers are our out-of-the house diaper most of the time. Also they're nice and trim, and even if you do end up buying larger covers,...
I have seen someone who took small prefolds and sewed them to the inside of Gerber training pants for extra absorbency. She was happy with them. I don't think she did anything more than pad-fold the prefolds and sew them down.
We haven't tried GroVia, but tried the GroBaby on DS when he was little and the cover gave him wicked red marks around his thighs. He wasn't *that* chubby - there were a few diapers that did this and I suspect it's something to do with the type of elastic, but I ended up giving it away because of the red marks. I also found that the soaker was quite bulky on the smaller snap settings.
    Brilliant! I'll keep a lookout for these. Thanks :)