or Connect

Posts by ziggy

Did anybody's church do something for Standing On the Side of LOVE Sunday?  We had a service focused on immigration and access to education.  It was a little overly political for my tastes but a good service. 
Due to a myriad of just icky life situations it looks like I'll be moving to Boston (form Maine) pretty soon.  I'm trying really hard to find positives here.   Positive: I will have a church again.  I know a ton of UUs in Boston, and I will actually have a choice of churches.  I'm excited to have a regular place to go again for church!
Singin_Angel - I get where you are.  I don't have any children but aside from that our situations are similar.  I'm 23, and until I left our congregation I was the only person in their 20s.  Our minister left/resigned/was asked to resign/was fired (for totally ridiculously non-reasons that boiled down to out and out discrimination).  She was fabulous and wonderful and most of the under-40 crowd was really upset that she left (all, you know, 6 of us).    I tried a few...
I gave this speech on Monday at a National Coming Out Day Rally My name is Andy and in addition to being a representative of The Trevor Project I also wear a lot of other shirts. I am genderqueer, I am pansexual, I am a recent college graduate, an activist, and I am totally, unapologetically , and compassionately in love with the world. I came out as a lesbian in 8th grade, though I didn't choose to tell my family at that time. Over the years my identities have become...
I hadn't been to church in a long time except for a couple of weddings and a funeral. I went to shul with my partner and her family every so often, but I was there for her, not for me. But I learned quickly. It's not like you're thrown in there to sink or swim. You'll get an order of service, somebody will recognize that you're new and help you out, things like that. And if the first service feels disorienting then go back the next week. sometimes coming into a...
http://www.standingonthesideoflove.o...ed-in-protest/
A reverend friend has this on her blog. I'm doing this from memory, so forgive me if it's a little off. First, pick an opening. Spirit of Life, Name Unnamed, Beloved, Redeemer, God of Grace and Glory, whatever you like. Then, decide why you have decided to pray. There are eight basic types of prayer - Yes! No! Please! Wow! Why? When? Please? How? The questions are what you are seeking to obtain answers to (Why me? When will ___ happen? How will I handle ___?...
Check out all the blog posts with peoples' reflections - they are pretty awesome. Also, there's a "Prayer for those arrested in protest" that was written by my former minister. You can get a little glimpse of why I loved her.
Hey folks! All of the people arrested for protesting were released. Around ten clergy were arrested, and 4 were released at the same time as Peter Morales. I was there when they were arrested and we held vigil that night. They were arraigned around 11pm on Thursday and released between 2 and 3am on friday morning. We were there to give them water and food and such. All were in good spirits. Anecdote that is still making me giggle: while playing hangman in Jail Rev....
So I should NOT be awake right now. But tomorrow I fly out to Phoenix to protest the anti immigration bill with the Standing on the Side of Love campaign and i'm SO EXCITED. EEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!