or Connect

Posts by ziggy

Bah'ai My best friend in Middle School and her family were Bah'ai Christian--Protestant All but one of the girls in the bible study group I go to Christian--Catholic The family I used to nanny for, and one of the girls at Bible Study Jewish--Orthodox A few friends of my girlfriend. Jewish--Conservative/Reformed My girlfriend Hindu At least three that I've lived with. Pagan/Goddess/Wiccan Uh, yeah, my entire student body. And then some. Yay hippie college. And a...
I've gotten pretty involved. There aren't any small ministry groups but there are talks of starting some. And I do know some of the members really well. I generally get along with folks, I just feel like I'm in SUCH a different life space than everyone else there. But I helped cook the religious education breakfast the other morning, and I've had coffee with a couple of members at various times. And I chat with a couple of them on facbeook all the time. Sometimes I...
I got a couple of friends to try it once, but they made it pretty clear that they were going for me, not because they wanted to explore other religions. I go every week and have been for about four months. I really enjoy it, and I'm not going to stop going. Sometimes it's just hard. I live over 3000 miles away from my family, so it's not likely that I'll be getting any of them to go any time soon. And my college is VERY not religious. At all. I can name MAYBE 3...
Well, we live in Maine, so the white people thing is kind of a given. I mean, the fact that our minister is half-Indian is really about as diverse as we get. But the age thing is really, really hard for me. Maine is old. Maine is white. Maine is pretty rural. Combine those things and you don't have a great, diverse, young congregation. Our congregation is small, around fifty people on any given Sunday. Some days there's some younger (late thirties) folks around,...
Some days I really really wish there was anybody else near my age in our congregation. I'm the youngest person there who isn't brought my their parents. There's a couple teenagers, a few in the under 7 set, and a 3 month old. Our minister and a couple other folks are in their mid/late thirties and then basically everyone else is 50+. I love multigenerational stuff, but sometimes it's hard to be the youngest person trying to participate. People just think I'm cute...
My UU Minister, who is very much not Christian, signs most things "blessed be" or "blessings."
I recently joined my congregation - I joined relatively quickly after first going to the church, only because the congregation is small and they don't offer new membership classes very often (this is the first one in over a year, from what I understand). I love it. I love it so much. I was kind of determined to hate all religion, but I went once because they were having a candlelight vigil after losing marriage equality (I live in Maine) and, well, I've been back every...
Our offering went to the UUSC, too. And the sermon was amazing - it was the MLK day sermon, but she spliced it with talking about Haiti and, I dunno, it just rocked.
I became a member of my congregation this morning. The service was really moving. I just love the love and acceptance from the congregation and minister and just everyone.
Due to the dozens of untreated ear infections I had as a child I have minor hearing loss. I'm lucky it wasn't worse, but antibiotics could have prevented it entirely,