or Connect

Posts by Ocean_Swimmer

Hi Trinitty~ A much belated Thank You for your kind reply to my post. Now, years later, the same daughter gave birth to a son just a week ago! No circumcision! It turns out her previous husband (father of first child - a girl) was INSISTING upon circumcision just b/c he was cut. Sick. She left him when her daughter was still an infant. They are divorced now, and she is married to a nice man who is very involved with this baby, a good father. In retrospect, I think you...
Hi Porcelena, Thank you for filling in the details and especially drawing attention back to the fact that your son is 5. You're right, it would seem odd, especially since the behavior occurred so soon after eating foods containing the additives you identified. I'm impressed with your attention to detail, which might be overlooked in many other similarly-affected children (and adults!)   The only similar situation for me was when, many many years ago, I noticed my...
I agree with MeepyCat and all the other moms who posted! Your daughter's safety comes first! One answer might be to let him know that temporarily, he needs time to get his living arrangement sorted out with the local aid system. While he is doing that, maybe he can visit her at your place for a few hours (when he can). That way, he gets to spend time with her, she is safe, and you are present to maintain some continuity. I am sorry you are in such a difficult spot.   
Thanks for the reference to the Feingold diet, Porcelina. My daughter is very careful about what she eats (and what her 3 year old daughter eats) Reading food labels is such a learning experience. I shopped for groceries with my mom who didn't know that 'low fat' sour cream has ooodles of other stuff to give it texture. My impression is: just give me the food, and keep the other additives out! It sounds like you have a huge success story happening! That's...
I LOOOVED Diaper Clips! After struggling with them for awhile, I found it was my folding technique, not the clips that were a problem. Used them for all 3 kids, and now I'm desperately looking for many pairs for my grandkids :) Anyone got some of those around they might want to sell? They were called Di-D Clips --OR-- "Baby King Diaper Clips" (found one package on eBay). I liked 'em b/c they could be easily cleaned, were safe, unobtrusive, and held beautifully. Yes, even...
We are the same way here: cook the bones into a reduction after baking in a roasting pan. We keep chicken, turkey, lamb and beef bone soup separate. We freeze a lot of bone stock to use as a soup base. Marrow is rich in fat-soluble vitamins (and of course Calcium) We like the flavor.   I don't know if many know this, but 4H Auctions are great places to obtain properly fed meat animals. They are raised in really nice conditions, kept on a healthy (not grain intensive)...
Hi Peggy, I am so happy to hear you've been nominated..but no surprise. Ive followed Mothering since 1980 and now I'm a grandma. Please consider the NOCIRC organization, founded by healthcare professionals to provide information to expectant parents, healthcare professionals, educators, lawyers, ethicists, and concerned individuals about circumcision and genital cutting of male, female, and intersex infants and children, genital integrity, and human rights. This...
Quote: Originally Posted by Trinitty Oceanswimmer, I feel for you. We are raising our daughter in a fashion similar to what you did, and I can imagine being in your situation years down the road. My poor DH can't buy soap without a pamplet from me... and it will be something I will have to be aware of as my DD grows-up. All I can offer is that perhaps she is anticipating a flood of information and suggestions from you, and maybe she really wants...
Hi, I have a different problem: my daughter, who is expecting the first grandchild in my family has become offended at any questions I ask about what the birth plans are, what kind of diapers they want to use, etc. It led to her calling me at work and yelling over the phone that none of this is my business (!!) I am -on the one hand- trying to let her be...and -on the other hand- I want to know and be involved as much as she and my SIL will be comfortable with. I am so...
"I'm sure from what they said in our short conversation, they already do feel bad, and that part of me feels really sorry for them. So what should I do/say at the next play group should this happen to come up again? Would this be the time to start educating them? Where do I even start?" I applaud you for seeing into the situation from the other parents' point of view: concern for their sons' well-being, curiosity, and openness to asking questions...so my reply to you,...