or Connect

Posts by elizawill

i don't remember any extra stuff needing to be logged. i'm fairy certain the "live" classes met that stipulation.  my daughter actually enjoyed the classes too, as did i.     i would definitely say it's worth trying. withdrawing from the virtual school was really painless for us. after we left, we went back to being 3rd option homeschoolers. if you do not enjoy the virtual school for some reason, i would recommend going the 3rd option route as well if you are open to...
yes, totally agree with linda on the move.   we homeschool and always have. public school is an option for my kids though & we always proceed one year at a time.  i've never painted a picture of school as being "bad" or fearful & i've never taught them that one option is superior over the other.  my kids are 11 1/2 and 9 now and find friendships through homeschool co-op's, church, sports, community service, etc. for us, having them involved in groups and being led by...
my daughter used connections academy when we lived in SC for a about 4 months at the beginning of grade 2.  i chose connections academy over K12 specifically because i had read the workload was too much with K12 (so the lack of "rigor" may be even more prevalent with connections imo).  we have always homeschooled, so for us, it felt like too much busy work and we couldn't follow our own interests without feeling "behind". the experience wasn't bad though. it wasn't a...
if you feel he is behind in writing, grammar & spelling, i would just start him with 3rd grade. if he is ahead in where you begin, just move at an accelerated rate that suits him.  it is so introductory at this age and has great review from past years. my son uses essentials in writing grade 3 (he's also 9) & it covers both writing and grammar and is pretty gentle. you certainly don't need anything formal like that, i just like the ease of a curriculum for these...
i don't know what schools or other parents necessarily consider average, but with my own kids they are reading fluently by age 8. i start to teach reading when they are kindergarten age (about 5 1/2). we start with letter sounds, then digraphs, & build up to sounding out words and then decoding sentences. but i don't consider them actual "readers" until they are fairly fluent (reading actual books well with comprehension - not leveled readers or beginner chapter...
we have used and love times tales.  i found it used for very cheap. they also sell a dvd (which i do not use), but you can sample it here.    oh. this is fun too. it's schoolhouse rock.
i'm not an unschooler at all, but http://www.fun-books.com/ is really great. i discovered the website through lillianj's recommendation a few years back, and she did unschool (her son is in college now) - so i thought it was worth mentioning. 
oh. i just saw this. i didn't realize there were other issues at hand. i'm sorry. that makes it very difficult.
i just wouldn't talk about how you school. i've been in several homeschool groups & we just don't sit and discuss our curriculum choices or philosophies. i don't need the pressure of answering to other moms for why i do what i do ...or not following the trivium, or being CM inspired. yada yada.  is that a possibility? if everyone gets along and the kids have fun, that's all that matters imo. homeschool groups should be social and fun. if you find you are fairly...