or Connect

Posts by elizawill

a couple of things we've used along the way and liked.   games for writing by peggy kaye. it's about $4 used.   how to write a simple paragraph (her other articles are great too for the essay and research papers...but those are for when your kids are older). my kids do not have special needs, but i love the way she teaches this. so simple!   currently, i'm using comprehensive composition and we are just writing across the curriculum (it was a couple of bucks...
    that made me laugh outloud. i'm sorry you were misunderstood, but that was too funny!!
i think most homeschoolers when first considering this option feel overwhelmed with doubt, fear, concerns, etc. at least i know i did when we first started looking into this. my children are 8 and 10 now (11 next month) and i can honestly say we still love homeschooling. we just take it one year at a time to keep from feeling overloaded, but the freedom we have found in homeschooling is wonderful. we also live in a state that allows us to take classes at the public...
i've only had people be truly taken back by the fact that we homeschool a couple of times. i'm very confident in what we do, so there really isn't a lot of wiggle room for them to make me feel uncomfortable.  the truth is, they are ignorant of what homeschooling is & i am not. therefore, i listen to what they need to say or ask, and i answer and correct them as needed. if they were ever trying to argue with me for some reason about how i parent and what we choose, i...
well, my kids are friends with kids in PS. we are part of a homeschool group & we love it, but their closest friends are in public school. we tend to be busy during the day with our own schedule, so playdates take place outside of normal school hours. we do a monthly field trip with our HS group, and we are about to participate in a weekly spanish co-op as well.  my kids participate heavily in our church group activities, community sports, clubs, etc. so they meet a lot...
no advice, as i don't unschool at all. i just couldn't read your post without giving support. hugs to you, mama. hang in there.
we use IEW to teach writing & the program starts off with getting the student to comfortably paraphrase stories. it follows the method of using a keyword outline. basically you read the sentence and choose 3 words per sentence that will help you later summarize the story in your own words. there's more to IEW than that of course, but that gives you the gist of how it gets the student into summaries without copying.
i also wanted to mention that there is a brainpop app. i have it on my iphone and they give you a free video a day, including the quizzes. sometimes it's on a topic that is above my son's head, but usually my enjoy them fairly well.
when i first entertained the idea of homeschooling, i was most apprehensive due to my fear of failing my kids.  i think that is a very normal feeling when you first begin looking into home education.  we've always homeschooled & each year i still will go through bouts of freaking out a little and second guessing my direction.     one of the things that has helped me to stay calm and focused is to stop comparing our journey to other families. it's great that people...
yes. i would personally homeschool him and never look back. his current situation sounds awful. homework until 8 and trying to finish it up before school? he's only in 5th grade & that sounds really stressful!  of course everyone is telling you not to homeschool because chances are none of them actually do homeschool. they certainly can't advise you on something they know nothing about, ykwim?   what does your son want? what do you want? figure that out.  that's what...