or Connect

Posts by elizawill

my sister uses k12 in georgia. she really likes it. she pulled her son from public school because he was having a terrible time there.  k12 still works with his IEP, and has him on a special reading program and everything.  k12 is mastery, not spiral. the curriculum is advanced imho but excellent. you can always try it and opt out if it's a bad fit. when my daughter was in first grade, we tried connections academy for a few months. it was okay. we left because i prefer...
thank you both!   miranda, excellent points. i do think my daughter is smart, so to make a big deal about the transition might make it more stressful for her.  i definitely don't want that to occur, so thank you for pointing that out.    linda, i defintely think my daughter's biggest hurdle will be the long day. we do have a schedule here, but it really flows and caters to her, so i know that will be the biggest adjustment for sure.  i imagine the whole process...
my daughter is 10 and in 4th grade.  next year, for 5th grade, she is considering public school for the first time.  i feel like she will be okay both socially and academically.  *i* have a little anxiety of course, but i would never let her see this. i really want to support this decision, should she choose to pursue public school.  my question is, what should i be focusing on now to make sure she is ready for 5th grade.i want this transition to be as seamless as...
i feel bad, but i really hated 100 ez lessons. ordinary parent's guide was pretty good imho. of the two, i would definitely use OPG.
my daughter will be in 5th grade next year. i'm considering winning with writing, growing with grammar, and soaring with spelling for LA (all the same publisher).  we currently use BJU and really like it, but she is a fairly proficient writer now, so we're ready to move on to something less expensive and less time intensive.  for math, we use and love CLE.  she's been with that since grade 2, so we will stick with it for sure. in your situation, i'd stick with singapore.
i recently read that "state stacker" was an awesome app! i sooo wish they had it for an android tablet, but it seems to be available only for the iphone or ipad.   http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/stack-the-states/id381342267?mt=8
i wouldn't.   fwiw, i've lived in more heavily regulated states & often it just appears more intimidating than it is (actually, my current state is somewhat regualted too).  for example, when i lived in SC, it really looked liked a pain to homeschool there if you just read the laws. however, it was no big deal at all.  i live in FL, and i will actually have to meet with an evaluator this year, which is a first to me. i was fairly intimidated by that, but after...
hugs. i'm so sorry. i can see how disappointed you are.  i pray your son loves public school and does really well or that your husband will recognize sending your little guy was a mistake. i can only imagine how hard it will be for you, as i have never had my children in school. but there are good teachers out there, he will make friends, hopefully it will be a good experience for him.  if going to public school is the only option, do your best to put on a happy face and...
wow. hugs to you. that's so hard, and my mama bear would definitely react as well.  your poor little guy.  the big issue here, is this isn't a fair fight at all. kids do need to work things out themselves for sure, but this is not one of those times.  the boys need to stay away from each other, period. the older away from your son and vice versa.  but since you have already tried to address it with the child & his parents, my next course of action would be to stay right...
definitely "my father's dragon" series. it has been my son's favorite since age 4.