or Connect

Posts by elizawill

Hi Kelly, we are using Heart of Dakota next year. It's a complete curriculum, but you could just look at the books used in some of their programs and pull ideas from there. I also like Sonlight, Winter Promise, My Father's World, etc. for book ideas.  Or if you're looking for a literature based program that's complete, I am super excited about Heart of Dakota.  It is Christian, but I assume you're okay with that looking at your other options.  Hope this helps.
i've use all of the explode the code books with my daughter (get ready, get set, go for the code & books 1-8). the only ones we didn't get into were the beyond books.  we never bought the 1/2 books or the teacher manuals. i felt they were self explanatory, and i saw no need for the TM's or 1/2 books.  at the end of each book there is a test that would require the TM, but otherwise we used them successfully without any other resources.  we never did the test, as i knew...
this recipe makes really yummy & healthy muffins. i keep them in a tupperware container in the fridge.  just omit the nuts, or add in nuts you can eat.   - 1 cup whole wheat flour - 2 cups unbleached white flour (you can use all whole wheat - they'll just be more dense) - a handful of ground flaxseed - a tablespoon of cinnamon - ½ teaspoon baking powder & ½ baking soda whisk dry ingredients together - in separate bowl: - mash 1 ripe bananas - ½ cup...
    Yes, the BCP lessons do follow the Core Knowledge Sequence. No, it's not bad at all. It simply a sequence and many curricula are based on it (K12 for example). You can visit  www.coreknowledge.org You can download the sequence for free there, and they have other lessons available there for free as well. They also have resources there for sale. Very good stuff
my little man will be in second grade. we'll be using:   heart of dakota, bigger CLE math R&S grade 2 phonics R&S grade 2 english   he's also is in a co-op, we'll have field trips, etc.
these days, i find myself at the well trained mind most often
hi allison,   there is nothing special about CLE. i just like it because it works well with my kids. it is cheap & effective.  it is not manipulative based, rather it is a workbook (although you could incorporate manipulatives - i do with my son). they have samples at clp.org    i have used grades 1, 2, and we are currently in 3rd. i'm very pleased with it. HOD recommends singapore actually, but i've chosen to stay with what we already use and like.... & for both...
i purchased it & we'll begin using it in late august (when our school year starts). my kids will be in 2nd & 4th, and i bought the extension pack for my daughter. we will begin with "bigger", and she'll be 10 in oct, so i figured the extension pack would be necessary for her.  it looks really wonderful & i can't wait to begin. i specifically chose it so we could do the bulk of their subjects together, bu i still have the freedom to separate their LA & Math. for my son...
yum! that sounds really good! i am going to make some right now!! i actually have everything i need & i was just wondering what i should make!  
this year we've used...   3rd Grade-daughter   SCIENCE - Rod & Staff Science Grade 3 -DON'T LIKE Christian Liberty Press Nature Readers (Books 2 & 3). LIKE MATH - Christian Light Education (CLE) Math 3  - LIKE GRAMMAR/WRITING - BJU English Grade 3 - LIKE SPELLING - Spelling Plus & the Dictation Resource book.LIKE PENMANSHIP - Handwriting without Tears Cursive Grade 3. LIKE HISTORY / GEOGRAPHY - Abeka Grade 3.  LIKE (truly I was surprised that we liked...