or Connect

Posts by sugarmoon

Quote: Originally Posted by Piffle How often do you wash your toddler's hair? Heh. Looking backwards, I did it a few weeks ago, once in January or February, and once in December. I can't remember before that. I do think I'll need to try to at least get it wet a bit more often during the summer, cause he gets sweaty and dirty playing outside. FTR, he bathes almost every night -- he just hates getting his head wet.
I like jokes. Jokes are funny. We need to be able to laugh at ourselves *and* at the world around us. I think it is different to enjoy ethnic jokes in general, and to enjoy jokes about one particular race/ethinicity that one also holds other racist beliefs about. Quote: The best jokes are interchangeable between ethnicities. ITA, applejuice. I was thinking the same thing, about how interchangeable many of these jokes are. In hs, we used to...
Quote: How many parents could honestly say they could deal with a 4 year old who is making 'come ons' to their teenage son yep. and then to think about how it looks to others when you are providing the 4 y.o. w/ the type of supervision she needs. it really makes you look like a bitchy, unloving foster mom. my dfs has hx of sexualized behavior and so I am *incredibly* strict w/ him around my 21 mo. old ds esp, but also w/ ALL kids. I get so tired...
yep. sounds like my ds, who will also be 2 in august. redirection is less effective than it used to be, and it needs to be a "big ticket" to really work. For the tantrums, I empathize, offer redirection, and if he is still wailing, I often walk away/ignore for a minute or two, then offer redirection and empathy again. He'll often accept it during the second round. So, a bit of a hijack here, but related I think. How do you deal with this type of situation: I'm...
Well, still no baby here, thankfully But this w/e dh put the toilet back in service, put the tub and sink in place (but not hooked up to h2o yet), and by tommorrow we should be able to use the shower w/out being totally meticulous about keeping the new floor dry (tile mortar still has to finish setting up). And, today I got the floors mopped and the house is basically clean (well, it will be if I do dishes and clean up the kitchen after I get done goofing off at MDC ),...
I'm with you Irishmommy. I was just ranting about this on some other thread (already forgot which one though...). I don't post much about being a foster parent, or issues I may be having w/ my dfs, mostly b/c I don't want to open myself up to criticism from people who just don't get the different type of parenting a child w/ a hx of abuse needs. Enough said, but ITA w/ your original post.
Hmm, I think the contrast between a one-time event (going on a ride, climbing a particular tree, doing a certain task) and something that is a learning process (riding a bike, learning to read, learning to horse back ride) is important. In a one time event, using language like "lets try it" and giving lots of room for backing out is important, such as the example about going on the carousel. In this case, if you tell your child "I know you can do it", then if they back...
IMHO, the problem is that there isn't any good solution. Lori is absolutely right (and very eloquent ) in every thing she has posted. But then, there are those of us who are too close to the issue on the other side to be objective about the mom's needs/rights. In my work as a post-adoption case manager (for kids adopted from foster care), I saw way too many kids coming from families like this one. Kids who were placed w/ their fost-adopt. family right from the...
Hi all. I know that this is the opposite of what most of y'all are feeling right now, but can everyone please cross their fingers for me *NOT* to go into labor for a few more days, at least! My dh is, as we speak, laying down the backer-board for the tile in our bathroom. The backer-board can't be walked until the tile has been laid. We have to wait 24 hours to lay the tile, to allow the mortar for the backer-board to set up. Did I mention that we have only one...
hmm, I'm not sure about freezing it. I used to freeze the individual cups of yoghurt and eat them instead of ice cream, but I never thawed it -- you can freeze milk and cheese just fine... the freezing might kill the bacteria though, so that would be one drawback to freezing. I'm not sure how it would effect (affect? i never know) the consistency of the yog. Let us know if you try it! you guys have me inspired to start making my own again, and to experiment w/...