or Connect

Posts by verde

We try not to swear in front of DD. Occasionally DH and I let one slip but we try to set a good example. I also have to watch the swearing where I work so it's good practice to not swear. I don't think swearing is wrong but I prefer to save special words for special occasions and in our household it's not appropriate to use swearing in our daily conversations.    I don't want anyone to think I don't understand the theory that "words are words" and intention is important....
We bought a wood cookstove (1940's) a year ago and I cooked on it all last winter and started her up this year around Halloween. I love cooking on it. We kept watching ebay and Craigslist until we found the one we like. We live near Washington DC and went to Pennsylvania to get it.  The warming bins are handy for keeping things warm and for defrosting. Don't have a water basin so can't comment.     
You're correct Arduinna, You did not say they were representative of the whole movement. I agree that the video was horrifying. I trust that you are equally horrified that the police attacked sleeping protesters with batons and teargas and that they have pepper-sprayed peaceful protesters in the face. To me that is incredibly horrifying.    The primary question is this: in the United States of America, where everyone lives under the conditions of The Constitution,...
You know Mrs. Mike, the more outrageous and strident the anti- protest denunciations, the more I think "Methinks they doth protest to much." The cause of the rising hysteria is the fact that the conservatives no longer control the national conversation. Thus the Occupiers have already succeeded.   I went down to see Occupy DC and had a lovely afternoon. I'm totally impressed with their kitchen and library -- they feed anyone who comes. Anyone.       My response to this is...
I'm horrified by what happened in Oakland. :(           
Still cosleep and DD is 6 y/o. She seems in no particular hurry to leave and DH and I are just fine with that. :)
Like other posters I listen to NPR all the time. My 6y/o DD is used to it. Sometimes in the car she'll ask for music and we'll trade off with each other. :)
As others have said, it depends on your DH's tolerance for travel. Re: some other comments. IMHO Rockville and Olney are really different places. Rockville is crowded with small yards; Olney is more out in the country with larger yards. It all depends on what you want.    Frederick is at least an hour away, probably more. If you're thinking of living that far out then you might want to consider Baltimore. I know lots of people who love Baltimore and take the MARC...
      Yeah maybe. Sorry but the DC metro area has insanely high real estate.    Is your husband working in the District itself?    Things to consider based on my 20+ years of living in the area.   Pro: DC is an interesting place. It's dynamic, lots of cultural and artistic variety, good healthcare facilities and lots of alternative/complementary health practitioners.    Cons: It's expensive. The traffic is insane and was recently rated the worst in the country.    I like...
We just clipped one side. it's easy and doesn't hurt them in the least. It takes less than a minute. I learned from a youtube video.    Don't free guilty. Because you clip their wings you can keep them in your yard, still have them freerange and not have a hostile neighbor. Having been in a similar situation I will tell you that not having your neighbors mad at you is a nice thing. :)