or Connect

Posts by prothyraia

I nursed my oldest through my second pregnancy (he was 11-20 months old during that period).  It was hell.  I got through it by setting some serious limits.   I'm glad I stuck with it, because he went on to nurse until he was 3 1/2 and I think it was important to him, although I found nursing irritating for most of that time (so for me, it only got better after the baby was born and even then it still pretty much stunk).  At that point I weaned both of them because I...
Mei Tai!
When another child is bitten by a 16 month old, it's the fault of the person who is supervising them.  End of story.   And yes, one of my kids was a biter, and they do outgrow it, but you can't reliably "teach" them not to bite any more than you reliably "teach" them not to run out into the road.  Which is to say, they will get the idea eventually, but until they do it's your job to prevent anyone from getting hurt.
I'm for it.   If they're physically old enough to procreate, they're old enough to have control over medical decisions directly related to that.   Including those decisions related to prevention, like birth control, STD prevention, and these vaccinations. 
    My oldest would latch on to comfort nurse, get drowned, pull off and scream with milk squirting all over his angry little face, and then try to latch on the soothe himself again, with the same result.  It was terrible!  But it all eventually settled down and he nursed till he was 3 1/2.  It definitely gets easier!    
I have over-active letdown, and my three kids have all dealt with it somewhat differently.  The newest one is the first to want to have a shallow latch and chomp on me.  When things aren't quite so fire-hosey he does have a nice, normal latch, so I know he knows *how*, at least.  I'm not too fussed about it, mostly because I can't think of any better options.   Just remember- he will get teeth, fairly soon, and then hanging out on the tip or clamping down will be...
People's reaction to a man being a SAHP often make me .   My husband and I have both done stints as the SAHP; the response he gets are for the most part positive, but uncomfortably overwhelmingly so.  It's met with amazement that he would *gasp* take care of his children all day while *gasp* his wife does something else, and *gasp* he is just the most supportive and amazing partner EVER!!!!!!!!       I'm was mostly met with a "oh...that's nice" reaction and...
Just take a minute and imagine this situation, if you can-   Your sweet little baby boy, whom you love more than anything else, is gone.  Poof!  Gone.  And now there's a fully grown adult man instead (whom you love, of course), but you do still miss that little baby and all the games you'd use to play together and all the snuggles you used to have.  But...now he has a baby of his own!  And you fully respect the right of that baby's parents to make their own decisions...

Most any wrap or soft structured carriers should work.  Slings, not so much.