or Connect

Posts by prothyraia

Pffft, I nursed my oldest for almost four years (including through his younger brother's pregnancy), without supplementing.  I've nursed in public without shame.  I've had my partner sit outside my class for eight hours a day with a one week old infant so I could feed the baby before he was old enough to be safely introduced to a bottle.  I take nursing seriously.  AND l drink alcohol on occasion (and have drunk to intoxication in a few rare instances).   Never did...
Cutting off part of a healthy baby's #$*% is abusive.     Really, cutting off a part of any perfectly healthy newborn is abusive, the fact that the genitals are involved makes it extra disturbing..   I can just keep repeating myself, I suppose.  
There's also communion in the Catholic church as an issue.    
Nope, sorry, hacking off part of a normal, healthy, child's genitals for no medically necessary purpose is abuse.  And no, I'm not going to accept it as a valid parental choice.  No matter how sad it makes you that I'm being judgmental.   Now, people that I love and respect have had that done that to their children, and I don't think they are Terrible Evil People, but the practice itself is still vile and I'm perfectly happy to judge and condemn it as such.
"My brother chooses not to beat his wife, and I feel that it's unfair for him to ask others to support that decision and accept it while he refuses to do so for men who choose to do the opposite."   Even if you don't think circ is a human rights violation, it really can't be THAT hard to wrap your head around the fact that people are unwilling to accept and support a 'decision' that they consider to be abusive. 
pmed you :)
I really hate to pursue this, since it has nothing to do with the OP, but I also can't let the whole "omg, my baby needed some sort of minor medical attention and would have died during a homebirth" thing stand, as if having a homebirth somehow transports you 500 years into the past where portable medical equipment doesn't exist and hospitals, physicians, and intensive care are nonexistent instead of minutes away (although I don’t know the first commenter’s exact...
Not to completely derail this thread, but my not-quite-3-week-old.was born, at home, in essentially exactly this same situation.  Very quick birth, blue, floppy, not breathing, and (we found later) quite a bit of fluid in his lungs.  His immediate care was handled very well by our midwives (who do carry emergency equipment, including oxygen), and we transferred to the hospital later (where the x-rays showed all the fluid) for ongoing respiratory issues.    He's happy and...
I remember being horrified when I realized that the worrying was never really going to stop.  I somehow always thought that after I didn't have to worry about- miscarriage/stillbirth/SIDS/choking/- whatever the appropriate developmental Scary Thing was, that I'd be DONE.  But it's always just being replaced with the next developmentally appropriate Scary Thing, presumably at least until after they start *shudder* driving.     So after a certain point I think you just...
My oldest did this; he also gave up the pacifier on his own once my supply settled down (I forget when that happens- 3 months? Something like that?).   I agree that people need to be really careful about using pacifiers and be ready to ditch them if they start to cause problems, but I also think that in some cases they can *help* the breastfeeding relationship; oversupply/overactive letdown is one of those times.  My son deserved to be able to comfort suck when he needed...