or Connect

Posts by Poddi

My cheapest wedding gift (was a college student then) was a pair of bath towels.  I have hand embroidered each of their names on them.  They cost less than $15.   Most of the gifts we received for our wedding were quite modest and cost less than $30.    Unless you're quite well off and everyone know how much you make, I doubt they'd consider your gift cheap.
I have that problem, too when I use "natural" cotton tampons.  I think it's just when the flow is heavy they don't absorb fast enough before it leak down.  Rayon is more absorbent than cotton so they tend to work better for me.  Of course on light days it just doesn't matter.  I think you gals with heavy flow should give cups a try.  I use a fleurcup and the large size holds twice as much as a super plus tampon does. :)
You're not alone.  For people with heavy flow there's just nothing that can promise no leak.  On my heaviest day I also change cup every couple hours (can't get a good night's sleep).  Thank goodness my heavy day only last one day.  This is really common.  I remember when I was 18 and was shopping with one of my mom's friends (in her 40s).  I saw her buying the biggest sized tampons and maxi pads.  I asked her why she bought both, she said she needed both.  If you ask a...
I've tried a few different ones.  The produce was excellent, but the waste was big, too.  You really need to like all veggies to get the most out of them.  I'm the only big veggie eater in the house so I ate most of them.  However I don't eat salad greens or lettuce so all those are wasted.  This year we just go to farmer's market and buy them.  The prices are a bit higher but we don't need to buy anything we don't like, so the cost per week is the same.  Besides...
I agree that complaining seem to be part of the culture.  It used to annoy me much more as I'm a problem solver and it seems nobody wanted to hear any solutions.  Now I realize people are just trying to de-stress or relate to others and just pretend to listen.  I still have trouble with my own parents complain about money, though.  We all came from very poor background, especially my dad.  The family members are dying of starvation kind of poor.  We were all slightly...
I used to shop sales, in the last 3 years I'm a big thrift store convert.  Thrift stores here are not as cheap as ones in US, but there are still good deals, especially for kids' clothes.  The coolest thing about thrift shop is you might find anything there, clothes from every decade, made of nearly every material, and many brands you're not familiar with or even homemade outfits.  It's just fun to dig around to see what's there.  More than half of my wardrobe are from...
I agree with the above poster.  If monthly income is like 8000, then you can spend 1/3 on rent and still have over $5000 left for everything else.  The suggested percentage should vary based on income level.
We have various u-pick farms for fruits around here, like strawberries and blueberries.  While I do like that, I only do blueberries in summer and apples in fall.  They're all at least 1/2 hour's drive away so I get at least 10 lbs at a time.  Apples can be kept for a long time, I also make apple butter.  Blueberries are easily frozen and used later for baking or pancakes.  Other fruit don't keep well, and we don't like to eat them frozen.  I'd say they're mostly for fun...
It sounds OK to me, but then I'm in metro Vancouver.  Loads of people pay up to 50% for rent or mortgage.  If you can build up a reasonable emergency fund that amount would be much more comfortable.
Are wooden bread boxes really that good?  We have a new unopened one bought 3 years ago.  Was going to give it as a gift but never did.  Maybe we should take it out and give it a try.  I feel a bit weird not being able to wash it.  Especially since bread might get moldy sometimes.  I've been using ziploc bags for my bread.