or Connect

Posts by Poddi

If you have cool nights, use a window fan.  We have one in each bedroom and they can bring the temp down by about 10 F, depends on the temperature difference.  Compared to A/C they are cheap, don't use much electricity and are much quieter.   Of course this only works after sunset.  But to me it's mostly important to go to sleep in a cool bedroom at night.  Daytime heat can be tolerated by various things (sipping cool drinks, dip in a pool, stay in the...
It's all relative really.  My parents always consider us (DH and me) poor because I SAH and only he brought income.  DH made about average for this area so we were definitely middle class, and because we've always been frugal we probably were doing a lot better than others in the same income range.  But for my parents' circle anything less than 100k a year is poor, 200k a year is acceptable, 300k is enviable.  They're just the type who always complain about something,...
I guess I must be very lucky.  Nobody ever complains about being broke to me.  Either my friends and family feel ashamed about being broke, or they're not broke.  I know none of us make loads of money, but frugality and good money management seem to run in our circles.  The only exception is my brother who is both broke (unemployed) and frivolous in spending, but he never talk about it. 
I just got 11 pieces of clothes and a calculus book for $12 at Salvation Army store's sale.  I was rather stunned about the deal.  I usually go to Value Village, they're not as cheap but have huge selections.  We only have one Salvation Army store here that's the size of a house.   Amazingly they have lots of good stuff, too.  And because the store is so small it took me only one hour to go through most stuff.  I guess I shouldn't dismiss stores just because they're...
I have some light bleeding for a few days around 8 weeks with my first.  We didn't do ultrasound so I'll never be sure, but I think it might have been a "vanishing twin".   Irregular ovulation run in my family.
I prefer beach slightly more, though neither would be my top choice (and DH hates sand).  My family usually go for museums and other attractions.  The only "natural" thing we like for vacation is natural hot springs. :D You can probably guess we never do camping.
Thrift stores here are priced rather high, so I don't go very often.  Although I try to go to their 50% off sales.  Yesterday was Salvation Army's and I got some nice clothes for about $20.  Two L/S shirts for DS1, 3 blouses for myself, a t-shirt, a vintage dress and a vintage skirt.  That's pretty good haul for this place.  When I was clueless I once bought a used dress at Value Village for $20 plus tax!  Later I found out that particular one price their things really...
I'm surprised that generation X had the lowest savings.  They're people in their late 30s and 40s and should certainly fare better than the below 35 group?  Is this article up to date?  I assume these savings exclude retirement and education fund?   *I found it.  Is this the article? http://www.news.com.au/money/money-matters/australians-saving-more-than-ever-but-some-more-than-others/story-e6frfmd9-1226628719943   It sounds like a simple stats based on ING...
I was born at the moment of full moon.   I do naturally think round things are the most beautiful shape of all.  This in turn affect a lot of my preferences, like think people with round faces are prettier and plump people are sexier. My ideal ring is a round stone set in round bezel.  Any other shape is just not as attractive compared to perfectly round things.    *When I was little I liked to eat round eggs.  This was in a place and era when people bought eggs...
I use Nellie's laundry soda, which is like the Canadian version of Charlie's.  Works very well on most loads.  I sometimes use soap nuts liquid as well, it's really good for making towels and sheets clean and soft.  Somehow just tossing in the wash doesn't work well.  Maybe because we have a front loader and it's not soaked for long enough.  Boiling them release all the saponin.