or Connect

Posts by Poddi

My 6 year-old started talking about Webkinz a few days ago. He was really excited about them. I didn't know what they are until I looked up. I asked him where he heard about those and he said the school (public school, in upper middle class suburb) gave each kid a Webkinz so they can log into the school's computers and play. He's been asking for some Webkinz of his own ever since. I understand that Webkinz are mostly harmless and fun to play. But should a school be...
DS 1 is not interested in sports. We only have him enrolled in a second language class. DS 2 is in a beginner's music class. I'm not too interested in driving the kids all over the city to take lessons, just the gas would cost too much. They're still little and have many years to learn things. We'll try to do just one or two things at a time and just let them play most of the time. I am thinking about ballet. Um, do boys take those? What age would be good to start?...
Well it sure feels like my DS's school is always doing some fundraising. Usually a couple different things at the same time. We're in a typical suburb community, so maybe they expect everybody to be well off? We get all sorts of catalogs of fancy stuff (like $14 for a roll of gift paper) where the school would benefit from 50% of the profit. There are also other fundraising that we're supposed to sell things to people we know. I just don't know how they expect a 4...
Ours is $4 Cdn. So that's $600 per month for 5 people. I usually spend less than that. Food here is much more expensive than in US. None of us are big eaters so that helps. Well I think I alone consume 40% of our budget.
I usually have a couple ziplocks in my bag, too. Not exactly for taking leftovers, but they are handy for all sorts of things. Sometimes if the leftover is not too wet I'd just stuff it in my bag and not bother to ask the server for containners. I once went to a fancy place with menus I couldn't read. Ended up ordering a fish that's totally raw and still frozen inside. I took it home, added some spices and lemon juice and steamed it. It was sooo yummy. Ziplock...
I want to join. My freezer need defrosting badly. I want to use up as much stuff as possible before defrosting. My pantry is not too full but it needs organizing. I'll try to buy only fresh produce, bread and dairy.
I'm not too much help on the bills. Just want to say about your DD's plantar warts. Try your best to boost her immune system and they'd be gone by themselves. I used to have so many on my feet my doctor didn't even know where to start. I spent ages after each shower trimming them. Then they all disappeared like magic within one week. Every single one of them. Your body can fight them off. It's probably a waste of money to see podiatrist about it.
For us the biggest cost is still buying a house. We lived in a two-bedroom condo before and if we didn't have kids that would have been perfectly fine for DH and me. Anybody who knows the Greater Vancouver area knows how much houses cost here. Depends on the kid, I also didn't expect so much in repairs. DS1 has broken so many things, pushed TV off the stand, pulled curtains down and yanked a chunk of the wall out, drew all over the walls with dry-erase markers (we...
I used to be like a board and all sorts of people said they wish they were that skinny. Now I'm a decent sized curvy girl and feel rather sexy, nobody say anything any more. I guess I'm too normal now for any comments. Our world seems to be focused on teen fashions. Once you're shaped like a woman and mother you're just boring. On the other hand it's so nice to be "normal sized". I can buy clothes off the rack in cheap stores. Back in my skinny days I never thought...
When my DH was a poor college student living on student loan, he always volunteered in his church instead of donating money. He thought student loan is borrowed money and not really "income". Give what you can sounds pretty good to me.