or Connect

Posts by Dot.mom

I should add the dh has much better luck using loving physical contact during our interventions than I do. He usually holds her in his lap and speaks very quietly to her. When I have tried this, she immediately wants to fight me or nurse (which would work except by the time she's latched on, she has totally forgotten about whatever behavior we are trying to address and seems confused why i want to discuss it-but then she repeats it as soon as she gets down...) or shift...
When I find myself raising my voice b/c dd isn't listening, it's generally b/c I'm unsure what I should do for follow through. I don't want to start with threats. One thing that seems to help is after telling her what I expect ("Please give the dog space around her body"), if she doesn't comply, I pick her up and gently sit her in one of the dining room chairs and tell her she can get down when she is ready to listen to my words. She usually syas immediately "I'm...
Thanks everyone! We tried "knees together", but dd protested, "I want to watch it come out!!!!!!": Her balance is not the greatest, so that was probaby part of the problem too. I tried asking her to "point it down into the potty" so she leans over to point her finger down into the potty, which has the desired effect of getting her to lean over far enough. so that's working for the moment. Mamato l&k: That's really good. I may be pm'ing you for advice in the future!
If compromise doesn't work, I usually try to empathize, although I'm pretty sure at that point in a tantrum she can't hear much of what I'm saying. If she'll let me, I stroke her back and tell her I understand she is upset and how hard it can be to accept whatever the tantrum is about. Sometimes she kicks and screams and stomps on the ground. If she escalates to trying to hit or bite me, I move a soft object between us (like a pillow) and tell her quietly I can't allow...
Does anyone have any creative ways od getting girls to pee down into the potty? DD is 2 1/2 and child led potty learning is going very well. But she often pees up over the front edge of the toilet seat getting her pants soaked (which is really dissappointing for her if she has her favorite underwear on!). I've tried helping her sit further back and encouraging her to lean forward-this helps sometimes, but if she has to go really bad, it just come spraying out....
My dh makes our peanut butter in the food processor with organic peanuts, enough organic peanut oil to get the right texture and salt to taste. It's a special prject he and dd do together so she loves it. But, if it's JIF they want, I would recommend blending in some cashews, organic chocolate, etc anything to make it more of a treat but not be too unhealthy. I think some of the brand names have msg in them (not that I would add that!!!!)
Our dd was older when this started (around 20 months), but what worked for us was to redirect her when it was appropriate to use different voices ("That's your strong voice, honey. When you are asking for something you need to use your gentle voice. Your strong voice is good if someone grabs from you or pushes you. If you want this xxxxxxxxxxx can you say 'please' in a gentle voice?") She will now say the entire request in a nice voice and is doing much better using...
I have also seen this from both sides with my 2 1/2 yo dd. She's tiny, so when she is the aggressor, she can't do much damage, but it's the intent that counts, and I would want another parent to tell me if she hit or pushed at a time when I couldn't see. The last thing I want for her is to start aggressing as soon as she sees I'm not looking. When she has been on the receiving end, if she is upset, I encourage her to use her words tell the other child to stop and then...
I also think you're doing a great job!!!!!!!!!!!!! My 2 yo dd has also had problems expressing emotions, particularly when playmates transgress physically towards her. What has worked for us is practicing what to say in a "strong voice" to stop the transgression and then use a "gentle voice" to explain what she is feeling. Example: a playmate tries to grab from her, she uses her strong voice to say "Stop That, I Don't Like That!!!!!!" and then her gentle voice to...
My daughter is one who enjoys the serious element (and she's just over 2!). She has no patience with watered down play activites when she has her mind set to learn something. At a recent class at the zoo, she refused to take part in the craft activites b/c she wanted to hear "more about the animals". More than once, I've gotten the "keep quiet" lookwhen I've had the nerve to whisper something to another parent during one of her music classes, thereby distracting her (my...