or Connect

Posts by Dot.mom

I like this idea of teaching respect for others' belongings as an extention of teaching respect for their feelings. I guess this is where I will go with dd when she does eventually decide to defoliate my plants instead of killing them love. I am also not consistent either, for instance I will let her rip up old magazines (I think she is trying to make puzzles b/c she will lie the pieces out on the floor and rearrange them and admire her works), but new magazines are...
Quote: Originally posted by DeAnna Lynn Britt . Dot.mom, hope that kind of shows where I'm coming from on the whole destruction issue. Premeditation kind of makes a difference to me. DeAnna yeah... dd is only 19 months so the whole premeditation thing doesn;t come into the picture yet...she's just using her body to find out what does what....
Quote: Originally posted by dfoy I don't think it's ever too early to start teaching respect. Respect for oneself, for people's bodies (physically hurting someone is not right, for example), for people's feelings, for property belonging to oneself or others, etc. And therein lies the problem. When does repect for objects outweigh respect for our children exploring these objects to the extent of their abilities? I don't claim to have the...
Quote: Originally posted by Mallory Do you just let them destroy thier toys or when do you teach them to take care of them? I let dd destroy anything that looks tough enough to take her on. We do let her play with some more expensive type toys which are really not age appropriate yet, so we get them out and play with them with her so they'll survive until she is old enough to get more use out of them.
Quote: Originally posted by LEmama My 'not allowed' list looks a lot like yours - except we also don't allow the destruction of house plants/vegetable gardens. There is plenty they *can* pick in the yard without pulling up our seedlings! I think it is great to allow children to experiment with as much as possible. When I start to interfere in my children's activities, I try to stop and ask myself - Is this truly harmful to anyone/anything? Does...
Here is a list of things I have and have not let dd destroy (with and without regrets) in her quest for knowledge about this great new world she finds herself in. Allowed to destroy: Her flashcards Any food on her tray Any clothes she is wearing (I figure it's my job to get them off in time if she's gonna be messy) Any toy unable to withstand her play Several plants on the patio as she helped water them Several of my clothes which I foolishly wore when she was...
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Alexander [B] I was not there, so I can not judge the "play" that was taking place. It may have been innocent. On the other hand, we must face a reality that unfortunately, this model is all too often seen as a "free school model" rather than a "democratic school model", and attracts many who end up there by default rather than those who have made it a primary choice. Too many of these children, parents that tend to opt out rather than...
It is crap being ill. We are all rooting for you. Hope you don't mind my paraphrasing your definition, I thought you might be off the boards for a while...
I think Alexander defined this is a previous thread (I was thinking Free Schools were the same as Democratic schools). I think he defined Free School as a school run by adults where the children are left to do as they please. A Democratic school is a school run by the children where they do as they please. Alexander....hope you are feeling better!
Britishmum: I often strugggle with "right" and "wrong" and try to refrain from imposing my view on the world on my daughter, as opposed to sharing it with her. One way I have found to deal with this is not telling her anything in a didactic way. For instance, I don't say "This is "a"". but as we are putting her toys away i might say ""A" fits right in here next to "B"". Or, "Oh, my honey I'm not sure if "M" can swim if you throw it in the dog's water" I also love it...