or Connect

Posts by Dot.mom

I love the ideas and approach presented in his books, but I don't always come to the same conclusions. Natural Learning is definetly the way for dd and I to go-she has been drawn to letters and small manipulatives from a very early age and has asked to have letters named nearly as often as pictures in her books since about 14 months. At 17 months she knows more than 1/2 of her letters and has several sight words. She ws also a pretty late walker (15 months) despite all...
We use just plain water and steam clean more often
I asked Dh (who grew up with non-violent buddhist parents) if he had toy guns. He said, "Nope, didn't need them". I asked what he meant and he said, "We just used Florida". Really puzzled, I asked him to explain. Apprently the state of Florida in those old wooden puzzles is the perfect shape for a pretend gun. So he and his friends just used these. I think kids play out what they are exposed to either through the media or other kids.
I've got my first one to share! 16 month old dd and I were at the mall. An elderly lady with a very bad wig stopped to say "HI" to her. DD (who has a lot of words and does Baby Sign Language) said to her "hat...Hat....HAT!!!" very loud while patting herself enthusiatically on the head (the sign for "hat"). The lady must have been hard of hearing because she said, "Oh, Head...she's saying 'head' to me" I didn't want to betray DD so I just kind of smiled and fussed...
Orphie, I think it was a great idea to have your dd read the same book as you!!!! Getting on the same page is so crucial at this point. I don't think it really matters what view point the book takes (haven't read it myself) so long as you and dd can come to an agreeable understanding. I think this is the best step in the right direction. Thanks for the update-I will remember your struggles and those of the mothers who have gone before me when it is my turn to see my...
Water. we borrow a steam cleaner from friends and fill it with plain water. It probaby doesn't clean as well as the chemical cleaners, but I would rather have the carpets less clean then smelling of chemicals. There is also a service around here that uses carbonated water. We had our whole house donw before we moved in. The results were OK. Maybe if you steam cleaned with plain water but more often?????
Glad the ice cream is working! We almost had to resort to the injectable antibiotics when DD was under 6 months old! She had an unsually adept tongue thrust reflex that made quick work of anything other than breastmilk from the boob or bottle.
((((((((Orphie)))))))))) In the end, we can only do our best and hope our children grow up well in spite of us. I don't mean to sound blaming with this but there is a parallel that has emerged that you might not have considered. Your DD lyed and snuck behind your back. You snuck behind her back in reading her journal. She does not feel remorse. You state that you would also repeat your actions if you thought it were necessary. I would like to suggest reframing...
I like Alexander's examples because it demonstrates children learning on at least two different levels. First they learn the concrete facts (Pi, or whatever stage is set). Secondly (and I believe more importantly) is they are empowered by their own discoveries. They learn they are capable of finding out universal truths for themselves and are not dependent on others to "teach" them.
Hi there, I'm Crowbaby's garden partner so I'm bumping this for visability. We are probaby going to go the tiller route this time, although we do appreciate the advantages of hand truning and may move to that after we have our main beds tilled. We just have no idea the hazards of using a tiller, or how deep to till. Part of waht we will be tilling is on a fairly steep slope-is there a safer way to till a slope? Anyone have experience with this? Thanks,...