or Connect

Posts by blizzard_babe

And on the flip-side, especially as they get older... that sometimes less-than-perfect grades can be a temporary side-effect of trying something challenging.   Just today, I had two of my English language learners say that they were really proud of their grades in 8th grade English. Both decided try regular English this year, rather than my ESL class, and both REALLY struggled at the beginning of the year. They begged me to switch back to my class after their first tests...
-
Yup. And my five year-old can tell you how beer is made. His favorite part is how the yeast "farts carbon dioxide." It's science, yo.   He also knows that alcoholic beverages are for adults, and that they can make people act silly and do things they wouldn't normally do (because we've told him, not because we get slammed in front of him), and that it's like junk food for adults... a special treat "sometimes" food.
This is possible not "even if" it is a private school, but "especially because" they are a private school. With private schools, they can always say, "You don't like it, go somewhere else," because you are choosing to be there. Now, you may also have additional sway in that you can say, "I'd like to see access to classrooms or I'll take my kid somewhere else," and that means money for them. But at the end of the day, private schools can generally do what they want, and...
Three blocks. It's fairly glorious.
(coming out of MDC retirement to randomly post)   I'm in the middle of reading Smart but Scattered, and it's describing DS1 to a T. He's only four, but he is, um, my kid after all, and I see a lot of me in him when it comes to organization and self-monitoring. So far, the book isn't long on solutions, but there's a constant thread of "they need extra help with executive skill-requiring tasks, it is our job to scaffold and help them build those skills, and don't just...
I think they're important to a certain degree, but there are a LOT of interesting, high-level picture books out there. The options for young advanced readers aren't great; the content can become "boring" or inappropriate to them. Ask me about my mom's reaction when she walked in on me reading one of her bodice-ripper "romance" novels when I was 7. Hey, it was probably at my reading level... Some kids fix this by reading things that are inappropriate or boring (I would...
Thanks also from me. I'm just barely in (I may or may not be "smart but scattered" myself ), but it's reassuring and, more importantly, helpful. DS1 is only four, but I see a lot of myself in him, and if I can help him get off the ground in some areas, he'll be able to do a whole lot more with his abilities than I could/can. 
    Ooh. His birthday is May 6. Hello, mathybooks. I will order you now.
    Kind of off-topic, but I'm just getting started playing roller derby, so he'll have PLENTY of chances to watch me do something that comes about as far from naturally to me as possible, which is to say I'm pretty anti-gifted at the whole thing.