or Connect

Posts by lanamommyphd07

Something that was handy at first, but then turned out to be HOLYCOWTHANKGOODNESSIWATCHEDTHAT!!!!! was seeing the trailer backing videos. It's important to also watch the funny ones where professional rig drivers also get into a jam ;-)   The last backing adventure I had was on an icy driveway and I had to back through a one-lane driveway, around a cement gatepost, then a tree, and then a basketball hoop. It was, like, a 100-point turn. Really. Took over an hour!...
Hi Jody! It sounds pretty exciting! We're in a friend's driveway this week and then off to Nebraska to help another friend with a home reno while we squat with our rig! It's awesome to have a few free places to stay before we head over the Rockies.....$$$$$$$!
We have a couple of insulated small thermoses, so if we have lunch on the go, sometimes I'll heat it up beforehand and stick the soup, etc., in there. It stays warm for a couple of hours.
I had a thought about this dilemma, and based on some of the options families have, I wonder how prevalent very-large pantries and fridges are contributing to some of the difficulties. Is there too much variety going on? I have a philosophy that if something edible is present in the home, then it is food and can be eaten at any time. While some of our limited choices involve a cook-time, most often I pre-cook a few items, like garbanzo beans, and then they can be...
Well, I'll admit I'm sometimes an experimenter in the kitchen, and I like some weird stuff that doesn't quite jive with the palate of a 5 y.o. So, yes, I sometimes put together something different for DD. We're on the grazing side anyway, here, so it's not uncommon to have several things available (that don't require heating/cooking) that are my go-tos when dd thinks my dinner stinks. She has a right to her opinion too, and if she wants to eat carrots and avocados for...
Yeah...I'd leave this family behind too. Clearly, the idea of "toughening up" a tender child does not fit into my idea of raising kids. I think sometimes parents in that situation feel really uncomfortable about their kid being over the top, and if they pitch out the "time to toughen up" thing, and then you agree, they would be "okay". If you do not agree, that parent might have to do some thinking.    Then again, giving a tender child some skills in being able to say...
I think it's possible to have an entirely pacifist household yet raise children who have had experience using their bodies with emotion. I mean, part of using GD is that we're communicating to kids how to manage emotion without violence. But kids are not born ready to handle big feelings. We get to help with that. When a 5 year old chucks an offending book across the room, this is not particularly what we'd like to see as an adult, kwim? But she lacks the ability at the...
And I read it with fascination! Very nicely put together--
I think you have the answer there. The news is freaking you out, but perhaps the threat of the flu really isn't. Remember all the hype about H1N1? The news reports turned rational folks into militant preppers wanting a stash of jabs. Just sayin'. (Although....maybe prepping in general isn't all that bad....people seem to be getting spun up easily these days, and might come hunting for a natural source of D )
Good news! Throw another update on in a few weeks, wouldya?