or Connect

Posts by lanamommyphd07

i've run across GT kids who are perfectionists and this has impaired their written communication significantly. And the perfectionists are also highly sensitive about negative feedback from teachers. For one kid who was basically frozen around writing because he couldn't get the letters exactly what his mind told him (had been reading i.e. seeing the "perfect" letters for so long), what we ended up doing was a series of "races"--like make little m's as fast as you can for...
okay, this might seem a bit non-mdc in some ways, but as far as the debate on barbies or bratz or whatever else I tend to take this stance: Kids play with all sorts of pretend things. They pretend to be spiderman or superman or batman, gi joe, or astronauts or supermodels and whatnot. Sometimes I don't think we give them enough credit for being able to say, ah, barbie has these things to wear, but I wouldn't wear Barbie clothes because I'm human. I don't have a problem...
I always wondered what the name of the movie was!! So funny, I remember the bit about the pizza cutter too!! Mystery solved!
My understanding is that means the well is blown and needs to be recharged/refilled or (I'm blanking on what the term was--shocked? something?) We had to just wait a few days after a visiting kid left the hose going ALL NIGHT LONG to let the thing reset (fill back up or whatnot) before running the water again. Then the sand cleared up. But it could also mean it's going dry, I think.
I've painted through my whole pregnancy. When it gets stinky, I take a break and get air and whatnot. In the olden days before parental responsibility, I would typically get light headed at times while finishing a room. Had to draw the line before that. I figured, well, if I'm feeling alright, the kid is probably safe. But I used to take baths so hot that I couldn't move around in them and sometimes got light headed. Don't do that anymore either. I agree that painting is...
I think if you name a dog "brute" or "killer" you may unintentionally groom the thing to be one. Same thing with "doofus" or "foofie" or "happy" or some of the others like that. If the name leads toward a preconceived notion of behavior, I bet the animal will eventually seem that way. My dog is officially named Zeke, but also picked up "goonie" given his tendency to put his head in a way that reminded me of the creatures in Popeye. That said, when we play goofy things, he...
I think it's important to point out that there are a few different camps of vegetable eating people. You have vegetarians or vegans who are this way solely for health and body reasons. Then you have the camp that is this way for animal rights reasons. Or some version of those combined. I think it gets a bit sticky when a vegan person of one camp runs into a vegan person of the other, and then there's a religious battle of sorts that ensues. While I prefer having a...
Thought I'd jump on because this issue is the only one that has made pregnancy terrible for me--I finally bought a pair of men's suspenders at walmart, and clipped them to my jeans. Wah lah. No more falling down pants. I just wear them under my shirt and go. I honestly think this is more of a fashion trend problem than anything, tho--regular pants that are low riders always need to be pulled up too, even when not pregnant. My one pair of thrift store jeans fits absolutely...
hi kids! thought I'd bump on and say hi to the other "old fart" mommies. There are days where I say, ahhhhh, this is what I was waiting for. Good thing I did! Say, does anyone remember in the 80s when jeans and pants stayed up all day and there was no tugging or loosening or whatnot? Why are "mom-jeans" so bad? The worst thing we had to worry about was camel toes. I can't wait until the fashion world gets their act together and brings them back. How many years do we have...
when kiddos pull this one on me, I just give the blank stare at most. Without an audience or response, my belief is that it just goes away. Imagine the kid who said to me "you're a fatso". He tried a couple more times and then changed his tune to something else to grab me. (But I must admit that deep down my knee-jerk reaction was to spit back, "oh yeah, you're a little a$$hole") But I am wayyyy to grown up to engage in any way with naughty talk with a 5 year old.