or Connect

Posts by lily sophia's mom

Dr. Markham, this is exactly what I needed to hear.  Thank you for your perspective on this!  I see what you mean re: the behavioral approach versus actually helping deal with the feelings at hand.  Your rage descriptions and definitions are also helpful.  It's easy to take those moments personally or as irrational without a sort of 'definition' like that.  This is like taking a step back and watching what is happening....I appreciate it and your recommendations. I...
Queen, I appreciate the reminder (I'm the OP), but if she hadn't posted (and later realized she maybe wasn't supposed to), no one would have replied.  I still wait for the expert to share her thoughts.  In the meantime, I've sought my own help, but I still would have appreciated even a "this isn't something I can address now" comment.
Thanks again for your conversation & thoughts... G
I'm just glad someone wrote back!  You're also an expert if you've gone through this anyway....I'm about to re-post in another forum since I'm not really hearing back here.    Thanks for the book reference.  You found it helpful?  Our school counselor recommended two books that are more like journaling activities for her.  One she recommended not using the cover for, because she sees that my girl would read the title and then say "Oh, I have anxiety?" and then latch...
Thanks, this is helpful.  I have borrowed a book from her school's grade level counselor (I work at the same school) who also knows her well.  About "when you grumble too much."  Could you think of the name of that book you used?  I'd be interested.    I also like your ideas about listening but not engaging....will definitely try that.  Sometimes I think if we could both stop talking for 5 minutes, the storm would pass and then we could talk again.  Like trying to...
Hello, I know that my daughter's attention and emotional well being seem to fluctuate more than some other people and that she is very sensitive to what she perceives others to be thinking about her.  Also extremely verbal.  (7 years old). Her shyness can also come across as rudeness or being less happy than she truly is.   Being so verbal and having strong opinions, she has long thought that a well-articulated opinion (or just her mood) should sway decisions even...
That is true (K1329)...I really don't want to make it worse with my own fretting over it.  The thing is, if she were just being silly or acting different from other kids (even different enough to stand out in an odd way), it might be pesky but not worrisome.  Yet, I know that it is an outward display of her own internal anxieties.    A couple of people have suggested (and I've appreciated it) that I'm more aware than she is of it, but that's just the problem...she is...
Thanks for everybody.  Lots to think about. Gina
I've always known my girl was a bit sensitive, lacks confidence in new situations, and can be very shy.  Her occasional habit of suddenly changing her voice, bending her arms at the elbow & letting her hands drop, and turning her normally graceful walk into a bit of a waddle is not unfamiliar to me.  I see it when she thinks she's on the spot but is excited about what she's going to show you or what's going on.  But it comeas across as being painfully uncomfortable in...
Quote: Originally Posted by mommahhh I really hope she doesn't go through early puberty. It just seems like there isn't much of a "childhood", you know? Toddler, pre-school, puberty....!! I know!!!! I was later too, so I'm hoping she is as well. To be honest, the thought of early puberty depresses me more than this being a difficult phase I need to work through with her. Sigh... yesterday was much better. Honestly, I told her in...