or Connect

Posts by VisionaryMom

My son is in public school. Despite my concerns about his teacher, the district overall is great for gifted students. We're living in an area with a reputation for really good private schools. I think 70% proficient is about the lowest that I've seen anywhere in our district (which is the 32nd largest school district in the nation). Our school is around 75%. About half of the students come into my son's school with no or rudimentary English skills.
Gluten-free is just a labeling statement, not a product design. As someone with celiac (as in I have physically verifiable symptoms from eating foods containing gluten), I'm happy that there are more products with the GF label - makes life easier. Most foods that are labeled as gluten-free aren't any more or less natural than the gluten items. They're just made with different ingredients, so instead of bread made with wheat flour, GF bread is made with rice flour. There's...
Well, we went in this morning, and the school secretary said, "oh, she's not here today." OMG! So...we don't know anything more now than we knew yesterday. We did run into the classroom aide and talked to her for a few minutes. She said that she thinks the common thing that she's seen has been just to give more challenging work to students who are significantly ahead. At least that's a positive sign.    We're going to take the next week or so to have DS do some work...
The vibe I got reminded me of how some of my teachers growing up made me feel. They simply do not care for gifted students. The mom in front us said that her son was a bit behind in reading, and Teacher said, "oh, let me show you this information I have about helping students get caught up. We do lots of work that will help remedial students. Have you met our new interventionist?" When we said that DS is ahead, she started in on how students who are ahead can just "do...
I have some math work, though math is a little harder to provide work than language arts because I don't really have him do worksheets at home. He does play chess and do lots of tangrams, Sudoku, etc. Her comment before was that "sometimes children appear to understand something because they get the right answer, but they don't *really* understand the concepts." Maybe, but that's entirely untrue with DS. (She made that comment before school started, so it wasn't an...
We have a teacher conference with DS's teacher on Thursday. I need to be prepared. He needs accommodation in both language arts and math, though math is a bigger concern for us (both because they're not actually doing math, but counting, and his frustration is with math). From a brief conversation and an email, she is not going to be amenable to anything that requires extra work from her. So far, the biggest suggestion was that he "teach the other students so that we can...
I doubt there is, especially because I don't get any type of official disability payments, though my therapists feels I could qualify if I tried. It's an issue I've worked on a tremendous amount. It's gotten better, but ultimately we'll move to a place with a less "gray" winter because that should at least help.    Well, if that were the case (though it's not according to the school's handbook, which I'll be pointing out when I talk to them), then DS' teacher and the...
I actually don't think it's a problem in DS' class. They're not all seated by the time he gets there or anything. I've been there in the mornings for various things to see how it works. The kids go to the theater, and at some point, the teacher or aide will get the kids from his/her class. They all walk to the classroom together. There are no bells, so this is fairly arbitrary time-wise. After talking to DS, I realized that what's happening is that DS always walks to the...
In some states, it may be that way, but many states have the system set up in a sort of tiered system, so that you can be charged with molestation, which is inappropriate touching, including genital contact. Sexual assault would include any type of penetration, and aggravated means either danger or in at least one state it means penetration with a foreign object.  
Baked chicken w/ herbs & sauteed or steamed veggies are a go-to dinner for us. If the chicken is defrosted, it takes about 20 minutes. I can put it in and get everything else ready so that we're sitting down to eat when the chicken's done.