or Connect

Posts by VisionaryMom

We buy them although I have the same reservations that others have stated. We also live in a larger place with more movement of kids in and out of school than I experienced, though, so it may be fun for my kids to have the yearbooks.   Our school is a magnet school in a city that has designed magnet schools to be a mix of what are called "base" and "magnet" students. The magnet schools are built in mostly low-income neighborhoods, and the base students live around...
My 5-year-old does as well. She has huge imaginary worlds she's made up. I said up-thread that I was the same way. I suppose that where some posters (me included) have some difficulty is in the OP's insistence that this isn't a fact-based discussion about a doll being a relative. I've set places at our table for DD's imaginary friends and "fed" her imaginary dogs. But we all knew that it wasn't real. If another child or an adult had said that her imaginary dog wasn't...
DD is 5. We don't allow bikinis.    I also do not permit her to play on places where people will see her underwear if she has only a skirt on. Underwear cannot be shown (by anyone in any context) according to our district's dress code, and that includes little girls in skirts. You cannot participate in PE if you're wearing a skirt with no shorts underneath it. It's just inappropriate to me to flash your underwear to everyone. I have no problem being labeled prudish...
DH rarely remembers his dreams. Last night, I had a dream that our house caught fire. Unfortunately, my house DID burn down when I was a child, and I woke up back with those emotions. DH woke up this morning and said that he had a weird dream that we were at his parents' house, and our neighbor - one we know fairly well - was trying to set the house on fire. I'm not overly spiritual, but I do believe that dreams sometimes are a subconscious message. Is there anyone who...
I had imaginary friends for a long time. In fact, I was like one of the PPs in that I eventually used my pretend family as a coping mechanism for stress in my life. I don't think it's necessarily bad, and by that time I was aware that it wasn't something that other people would accept (though I secretly harbored the idea that other people also had these active imaginations but kept them quiet as well). I now make my living as a writer, so I do believe that it served me...
I would pick what bothered me the most. As an adult, I HATE it when children try to get in my lap, and the parents are really nonchalant about it. It's rude...even if you're 5. You don't touch and sit on people without their express permission to do so, and that's where I would start personally. My DD has some trouble with personal space, though not to the extent you mean here, and we've said to her that it's important that we're respectful of others' preferences for...
Yes. I suppose that whether you view it as bad or not depends on your expectations for your life. My mom got pregnant at 17, and it took her almost 15 years to finish college because she was working so much and trying to make life work as a single mom. She regrets that deeply. So do I. My mom is brilliant and would have had a very different life if she hadn't gotten pregnant. I did not have a stable or happy childhood because of the resentment and the fact that I just got...
Yes, it was. She had an affair. If she was unhappy (or just bored apparently), there are other options available that don't involve doing something deliberately to hurt the other person.   My husband had an affair that I found out about 18 months ago. We're still married and actually have a much stronger marriage, but a sticking point for me was that he did something KNOWING he was hurting me (and, it turns out, endangering me physically) and doing it anyway. I don't...
I have a carbiner clip because I'm often without a purse. Then I have 1 house key, 2 car keys, remote lock/trunk mechanism. We use the KeyRing app for all of our store discount cards, library cards, etc. We have a single key ring inside that has keys to seldom used locks so that we know where they are but aren't carrying them around all the time.
DD (5) is being a pencil (obviously a homemade costume!) and DS (7) is being a Marine. He wants dress blues, so we're attempting to make them for him...I'll know in a couple of days how that goes.    We've made a couple of pumpkin treats as experiments. DC took some homemade cupcakes to lunch, and their classmates all asked for one. We may take some for their class if we're allowed. We also saw a really cute marshmallow spider that's absolutely terrible food-wise but...