or Connect

Posts by VisionaryMom

That was how I felt about PE as a kid, but I see its benefits with the games and activities my kids do. They do little mini-lessons (5 minutes or so) on fitness/nutrition topics. The kids actually remember a good bit of it because they'll come home talking about it. Then they do stretching and a lot of "compete with yourself" types of activities. They dance while music is going, stop when the music stops. Or they try to jog in place as long as they can. Or they practice...
We tried that for a while after my hospital stint. We also tried just alternating nights. Part of our problem was that my DH doesn't wake up easily (not that he was putting in much effort). What we did for a couple of years was that I would go to bed once a week when he came home from work, and I would sleep a "shift" during the day at least once a weekend. That gave me a full period of sleep, and I really adjusted to staying up at night. It was hard to transition back to...
I would consider the impact of how all of this looks to your step-daughter. With the way you're describing it, this would be my reaction: "man, my dad created a new family where he stayed home and schlepped my half-siblings all over the world while I lived in my grandma's garage." That sucks. It really, truly does.   And...if you chose to marry someone with kids and for him to stay at home, it IS your job to pay child support. I'm sorry, but that's a financial obligation...
In short, I couldn't cope. I ended up hospitalized, and it took me a long time to recover. It is the only time that I have seriously wanted to leave DH - because he also refused to help at all. Your husband needing to work is an excuse. He needs to step up for YOUR health.
I have several (conflicting) thoughts, so this may not be much help!    1) The injury factor is very real. I have seen children who advanced quickly hurt other players unintentionally because their throw is too hard for the players to catch. I once saw my brother's best friend sobbing because he'd accidentally injured another of their friends with a throw. It's not fun on either side. The argument is very real, and if the coaches are concerned about injury, then I...
From when my dad went through chemo, I would say something to watch or read would be good. Even if he's not a big reader, I think there's so much downtime when you're going through chemo that many people turn to reading. There also were times when watching TV or movies was all my dad could do, but something that is easy to follow is best. He seemed to develop a lot of "brain fog."
They ARE predators. They also are victims, but that doesn't make them any less sexual predators. I was sexually abused for a long time as a child, and I never sexually assaulted or abused anyone else. They do *not* have to respond in the way they are. That doesn't mean there's no room for compassion or rehabilitation for them, but we NEED to call them what they are so that people can see the truth. The Sandusky scandal had, I hoped, opened some people's eyes to just how...
I'm sorry, but I don't think the teacher handled this situation appropriately. Asking children how another child felt isn't always useful. Clearly Gary doesn't care how your son feels. Pushing him off a rock wasn't carelessness, which is when I think tactics like that one work. The teacher needs to remove him. He doesn't get to finish playing at recess. I know that many here don't believe in punishment, but pushing someone down and injuring him deserves it, not a "how do...
 We live in a place with tremendous pressure on children to find their "thing" very young. My 7YO plays soccer, and there already are scouts for the older competitive teams who are at our games. Some of the private schools here require that children choose a musical instrument to play in kindergarten. Our magnet school starts in 2nd grade. So it's pretty tough here to let your kids not do activities and put them in later unless they're naturally gifted or have no...
Humans haven't eaten wheat the way that we have for more than about 2 generations. Wheat was cost-prohibitive until governments started subsidizing it and we began to process food to make it cheaper.