or Connect

Posts by VisionaryMom

I would probably say SAHM unless I were doing work that I wanted eventually to become full-time. I work from home. The number of hours has varied tremendously over the past 7 years, and one of the things I find difficult is the distinction between SAHM/WOHM. I take DD to dance class on Tuesdays, and the women there say some negative things about working moms often or make comments about how their daughter said she "just wanted to be a mom" as an adult. I hear comments...
I don't believe that paying for grades is a good route to take in part because of this problem you are facing. Your step-daughter obviously either has a problem at school (in which case the lack of money for her grades may be a punishment for something outside of her control) or she's decided that she doesn't care enough about the money to earn good grades. By setting up that system, you're creating that option for her, but now you don't like it that she's exercised the...
The legal high drugs are frightening to me. People can die from them, and they are addictive. I would want that to stop immediately, though he will have to want to and likely will have to get professional help.    The other thing I'd say is that you both are very young. He went from being a high school student to being attached with a step-child and his own child on the way in the span of what - a year? That's a pretty intense change at 18/19 years old. I would guess...
I GREW UP WORKING CLASS. I do know exactly what life looks like in a working class and a middle class family. I'm not making assumptions. Unless my family was wildly different (and we are Southern, which I realize also matters culturally), no one brought up Copernicus or the local Rembrandt exhibit at dinner - not at my house and not at the houses of my friends. We played backyard football, not lacrosse. Short of people who grew up in immigrant households, I don't think...
Thank you. These were the kinds of issues that had me thinking. I've read The Millionaire Next Door. We donate both financially & personally to a whole range of charities. Of course, we have people over for dinner and play backyard games. We're involved in a religious community, and our children have a range of friends. It's not that we don't live a typical life. Even if we did have millions of dollars, we still would do those things. I'm not questioning the core of who I...
That was the minimum money I was talking about - not the max. I guess that we're really talking about the top 1-2 percent of income earners. My best guess is that our active income probably won't ever exceed $250K, but we're building a real estate portfolio that gives our children built-in residual income that will make the chance of them making more money higher. In terms of personality, my kids are very different. My daughter is more artsy, and I imagine that she will...
We have those discussions. My college was paid by a combination of scholarships & loans. My parents didn't pay for any of it. I'm not sure that I "appreciate it more" the way that a lot of people claim. We will pay for our children's college & post-graduate/professional schools if at all possible. We draw that line more at expenses that aren't needs. We won't buy them a car outright, as an example. They will have to pay half and keep up their insurance, etc. For me, too,...
Wow. I have no idea why you seem so angry and offended.   As I said, I grew up in a working-class family and neighborhood. I am comfortable there. My husband grew up in an upper middle-class family, and while he's wonderfully open to friends from all walks of life, there are parts of that working-class world that are incredibly foreign to him. He has sometimes felt left out because he didn't get whatever reference or cultural norm that the other men were discussing....
My question is specifically for families with higher incomes - low 6-figures in and average COL area. What do you consider essential skills for your children to learn that are likely class-related? DH & I were talking today about wines. Our children are way too young to drink, but I want them to know the difference between types of wines, food complements, etc. I am from a working class family, and I've had to kind of figure it all out on my own. I guess I'm just...
I agree. I find that when I start to obsess over something someone posts on FB, it's time to take a break to remind myself that FB isn't actually my reality.