or Connect

Posts by VisionaryMom

I would agree. I know that in a Sociology of Class course in college, we did a number of projects based on the idea of class, such as "you have $X for groceries. What do you get?" where everyone had a different amount. My social class as an adult is vastly different from mine as a child. My mom was very young when I was born, and she spent much of my childhood going to school and working. We moved around a lot, and while we certainly never went hungry or homeless, we...
Contractors also don't often get paid for holidays and vacations. DH has done the contractor thing. We paid enormously for insurance. It was a higher hourly wage, but he worked through holidays or we just had less money during those months. Saying that your husband is still paid less by $40K is pretty presumptuous. Another calculation for the company is that the contractor gets no HR representation at the company, and DH's employer did not pay for his seminars and other...
That advice isn't always correct. We had a family stalker unfortunately. When we contacted the police, we got advice specific to our situation. Whether or not you should contact the stalker really depends on the type of stalker you have. I really think your mom needs to talk to Ann about it first to try to see if she has other information. (Even if you have an uncommon last name, how is he finding all of you after years and years? Is there more to the story that you don't...
I'm also a bit ambiguous about them in general. I definitely see some good ones near us. The single charter high school in our district is excellent. We looked at a couple of the elementary schools with programs we liked. The problem for us is that our district implemented feeder patterns, which will send kids from a specific elementary to a specific middle school and then high school. The charter school parents are upset because they have to go through the selection...
That was roughly our experience as well.    We're often asked if our child has Asperger's. Someone even sent me an article about the associations between giftedness and Asperger's syndrome. DS has some traits that look a heck of a lot like he's on the spectrum, but other things really put him outside of it. We do know some people with kids on the spectrum who've used natural methods - diet, etc. - to help their children, and I do actually find there's usefulness in those...
I go to Zumba 3x per week. I've run and done strength training, but I've never done anything as "full body" intense as Zumba. By about halfway through the class, I...stink. There's no other word for it. I've tried showering just before I go and putting deodorant on again just out of the car. I use a run-of-the-mill deodorant, but I obviously need something more. Any suggestions on what to use?
Ask for ultrasounds to confirm ovarian scarring. PCOS is a diagnosis of exclusion. You can't get that diagnosis with one pap smear. I had a doctor (who really didn't like that I am overweight) who insisted the same - "textbook case" - though I wasn't. When I asked for an ultrasound, it came back with "perfect" ovaries - absolutely no evidence of past cysts (they almost always cause scars in PCOS patients) and certainly no current cysts. It was not PCOS but a significant...
I've always had them asked. I've lived in several states, so I don't think it's a regional trend. There's no reason for them to bother you. A lot of women will open up in women's health settings if they won't elsewhere. I do know that when I worked summers at an OB/GYN office, there were women who would admit to abuse and not knowing what to do during those questions, so there's immense value in them.
We have tried the pallets on the floor and doing sleeping bags. They will get in them very briefly.   Last night, I got up and slept on the couch. It's not ideal, though it was the best sleep I've had in a while. Getting DH up is really difficult, so it's hard to have him move in the middle of the night. Unless he starts out in another bed, which he is adamantly opposed to doing, he's going to be in our bed for the night. Unfortunately the kids both have twin beds. I...
I would tell her that you know but that she needs to ask your mom.   My husband had an affair. I didn't tell anyone at first but eventually told my mother and MIL. Both of them argued strongly that I should not tell anyone else in the family because knowing would affect the way those people interacted with us (or, in the case of my family, how they felt about DH) forever. In the end, we've told some people and not others in DH's family. We've told no one else in my...