or Connect

Posts by VisionaryMom

Both DS and DD slept with us exclusively until they were 15-18 months old. Since then they've had a bed and could come and go pretty much as they wanted. As they approached 3.5 or so, we really started to encourage and talk up sleeping in their own beds all night. When DS turned 5, he started to sleep only in his bed. DD goes in spurts, though for the past 6 months or so she's come into our room only around 5 AM. She is an early riser - 6:30 or so is her general time to...
I hope that works out for you but prepare for disappointment. My MIL took this attitude with a lot of things, and none of her 5 children really appreciate it. They talk about her being "a dictator" about everything, including what they were to like and respect. You can force your children to eat what you put on the table, but you cannot force them to appreciate you for it.
Neither of us are clearly spenders or savers, so it's made us really wishy-washy with money. Here's what's helped.   1. We use Mint.com. It was helpful to see where the money went.   2. We have 2 checking accounts. A specific dollar amount gets deposited into the "discretionary" account with each paycheck. Everything else goes to bills. I pay bills either on auto-draft or on the day that one of us gets paid. We have a bills schedule.   3. I move money into...
We were there about a year ago. Our food spending ranged from $1,500 to $2,000 every month. DH and I both spent a few days in a daze after we found that out. We've changed a lot about how we eat and how we spend our free time (which was largely at restaurants back then). We're now at $500-700 in any given month, and we're much healthier. It's odd because now I wouldn't want to go out to eat as much as we were before. It had gotten so bad that we would go out to places and...
  Reading for my son has been in bursts, and he exceeds grade-level standards by about 2.5 years in reading. I don't know how it looks if you're an average reader, but it's definitely possible for kids who don't learn in a gradual progression to do fine on the tests.   To answer, yes, my 1st grader could read that passage. My 4YO could read some of it but not all. I don't know, however, that it's typical of the level of most first graders. Our district teaches both...
I've worked really hard to separate my own experiences from my son's reality. For starters, schools and what is expected/required of them is very different from what it was when I was a child, which means that school won't really be comparable. Second, while I felt mostly positive as a child, I realize that my experiences were lacking. I had an extremely unstable childhood and lived off and on with various relatives. I also was abused. School was a refuge that I loved. I...
We do seafood. We've usually gone with shrimp & crab, but the kids asked for salmon this year. Exactly how we cook it changes each year, and the quality of what we could buy has gotten increasingly better over the years. 
We have a complicated family situation, but I think that we may end up with my nephew living with us pretty soon. Nephew's dad and DH are brothers. His mom said that she wasn't interested in parenting when he was a baby, and he's lived with BIL since then. He's 4 (today!). About 2 weeks ago, BIL and his live-in girlfriend (not nephew's mom) broke up. BIL and nephew moved out to live with nephew's step-grandmother. Two days later, BIL was arrested on an out of state...
There is no need to call the carpet cleaners. If you decide that steam cleaning again is absolutely necessary, rent a Rug Doctor. You'll spend at most $50 on the rental + cleaning supplies. What I would suggest, though, is to get a pet smells cleaner for $5 and be done with it. One instance of little person pee doesn't necessitate professional cleaning, imo, especially if it's something that you really cannot afford.   Try to lower your expectations for the dinner...
In my family of origin's church, the idea that infertility is related to one spouse's sin or to problems is the marriage is fairly common. They have a support group called "Sisters of Sarah" iirc that is for women who cannot conceive and are working through devotional material to help them determine what sins they need to banish from their lives in order to get pregnant. I think that this evangelical/QF idea of punishment for sin isn't entirely uncommon. It's more than...