or Connect

Posts by VisionaryMom

We have a similar situation. My mother married when DS was 3 and a few months before DD was born. She calls her husband "Papa [name]" to my children. It's...annoying. I like him fine. He's nice to the kids, and they enjoy seeing him. At the same time, though, my mom has a bad track record with marriages. I don't want to set my kids up for thinking that they have some special relationship with someone, and then he could just be gone one day. Plus, it's awkward (and I think...
I would have given it a year ago. When my husband lost his job, we lost our health insurance. I was super-worried about what to do if the kids got sick. They've both gotten ill for things I would have taken them to the doctor for before, but I just treated them at home with natural methods. I am 90% sure that DS had strep throat, but I read on both alternative (Dr. Sears) and mainstream (WebMD) sites that the body almost always will heal itself in an otherwise healthy...
I have no problem throwing things away. I can - and often am - ruthless. Toss. Toss. Toss. The problem is that I cannot stem the flow of incoming items. How do you handle this problem?   I know that schoolwork is a major clutter-er in our house. I *try* to toss junk mail when we get it, but the mail that needs filing or attention seems to take on a life of its own. DH has some inexplicable need to bring home every free newspaper in our city, and apparently there are...
If I were her, I'd just never buy you or your kids anything. Who says, "if she got us ANYTHING we didn't say we wanted, we're not letting her spend Christmas with our kids next year?" Really? Wow.  You sound incredibly childish and ungrateful.    Also reconsider your view that you pick out 1 or 2 "perfect" gifts. You obviously don't since she didn't use your gift, and even people with hoarding problems will use something if it's perfect for their lives.
I think that few people understand what it is like to leave a cult-like family. (As an incidental note, my grandmother is one of 22 children raised *very* similarly to the Duggars - minus the TV show, of course! - so I do have some experience with families like theirs operate.) I left my family to go to college. While they wanted me at college, they did not anticipate that I would reject them so soundly. Physical, emotional, and sexual abuse are rampant in my family -...
As far as continuing donations, we sponsor a child through Save the Children (secular) and are sustaining members of the ACLU. I signed up with STC because I love what they do. DH signed up with the ACLU because he would find himself saying, "we should help out..." frequently.   With local charities, we give to groups with which we are familiar in some way. We've donated to the women's shelter where I volunteered, the food pantry & men's emergency shelter because we...
Hmm. I'm FB friends with a former long-term babysitter (we've since moved), but it was a more organic kind of thing that "I want to be your Facebook friend before I'll let you babysit" kind of thing. Honestly I limit my FB and do not friend clients, so I think it's out of line to ask to be friended by someone for whom you'll work.
We've lived in both Ky and NC with preschoolers. Both states required physicals. Ky actually required separate dental and optometry exams, but NC allows the parents to have that done with a ped or family practitioner. I would just look at the school district's website. Both of ours had the forms available online along with a clear list of what's needed when you attend registration.
I would not equate the color system with how other children perceive your daughter. My son had a child who was shoving & poking him, but his teacher said that the child was always on green (which DS also had told me). The teacher didn't see the problem behavior. DS was clear to us that the other child was "sneaky," so he would stay on green but really was a bully. Your daughter very likely is causing these problems and still remains mostly on green.   The vote was...
My anxieties around social situations also lead me to rehash way past the point when doing so is productive. I've practiced consciously saying to myself to stop thinking about it. I am very firm with myself (which sounds kind of silly writing it out) that I should not get think about what happened.   On a more personal growth kind of way, I think it would be useful for you to re-examine dance as an activity. Someone above used "dance troupe" in the same context as...