or Connect

Posts by Wendyesm

Hey, everybody.    My partner and I welcomed a new baby girl two months ago, after trying for two years for my partner to conceive without success and one attempt to get me pregnant. We are thrilled she is here, and my partner is thrilled to have been able to have a child -- but she obviously also has some disappointment around not having been able to give birth herself.  I think she had mostly resolved these feelings, but it is getting hard again because the baby...
Thinking of you, MamaHarrison, and hoping that Reed is doing better!!!  Update us when you can?  
First of all, big hugs and hope that he gets through it ok on his own!!   I do not have personal experience with a baby with RSV, just as a nurse and NP student.  First-line treatment would generally be supportive care to be sure his airway is open, so giving steroids to reduce inflammation caused by the virus, and also aerosolized breathing treatments as necessary, like albuterol, to open the airway.  They would also just monitor him closely to be sure that his...
So thrilled to announce that Vivienne Rose was born on 12/23 at 9:24 am, after 10 days of prodromal labor followed by 30 hours of intense labor!  She weighed 7 lbs, 6 oz and was 19.25 inches long, 13.5 in head circumference. It is a LONG story, so I'll just share the highlights for now (nursing baby on my chest :).  I woke about 3 am on the 22nd with painful contractions, and my water broke about an hour later. Contrax were immediately 2-3 minutes apart, so we called the...
Hi, ladies.  So glad for all of you enjoying your snuggly newborn time, and congrats on all the great milk production!!  :)    Natalie, I can also totally relate to be spending lots of time trying to work out what happened, and why. It sounds like breaking your water might have helped, but keep in mind that it might not have, either. And many midwives have good reasons for having "no AROM" policies -- like having had a baby suddenly go bad from an occult prolapse (or...
So sorry you are feeling traumatized by this experience, even so many years later. :(  I can relate, having had birth trauma with my first, as well (12 years ago now!). I hope that you find some closure.    Certainly it is rare for a baby to get GBS infection with such a fast birth, particularly in the caul, but it is not impossible -- and GBS infection can show up anywhere: lungs, skin, urinary tract, even in the cerebral spinal fluid. A baby with kidney reflux as...
Hey, not sure if you still need recommendations, but in case anyone else comes upon this:     I heartily recommend UNC Pediatrics at Highgate, which is close to Chapel Hill in South Durham. They definitely prefer vax'ing, but are respectful and really great docs.  Also second the recommendation for UNC Family Medicine, with Ami Goldstein, FNP, CNM in particular.   The Birth Center can definitely be your PCP for well-woman care -- Rachel is their FNP, and she's...
Congratulations, edensmama!!  What wonderful news -- so glad you got to have a positive birth experience!  Welcome baby Brantley. :)
Amazing story, Rae!  What an accomplishment -- congratulations!!!!  And beautiful baby. :-)  So happy for all of you holding your babies now!
Thanks for sharing, esp!!  Gosh, I hope I have a similar story to report soon!  Last night I finally had some good sleep, so now I'm feeling appreciative and grateful for the time, and trying to enjoy this beautiful Sunday with my partner and family to relax before the big excitement, whenever it does come!  Annaka and mama diamond -- good luck to you both.  :)  I know we'll all soon be on the other side of this!