or Connect

Posts by MayBaby2007

I think you (the OP) are making WAY too big of a deal about this. Loosen the leash and let your kid handle her own. If it was my kid, I would tell her "Friends and family can call you by your nickname. Strangers, school officials, day care workers, etc do not need to remember your special name-of-the-day." What if your kid decides to change her name daily? Are you going to get all bent out of shape of well-meaning SS teacher mistakenly calls her "baby" when...
Quote: Originally Posted by lorijds I'm always so sad when I hear nurses say they would not recommend their profession. I don't know what brings someone to that point, to paint the entire profession in a negative light, and I'm sorry they are in that space. If you go to allnurses.com you see it there, too. It's so discouraging. Nursing can be a WONDERFUL profession. I personally LOVE my job. Yes, it is physically and emotionally difficult. So is...
THANK YOU SO MUCH for all the responses!!! The good, the bad, the ugly or the otherwise "truthful" posts. Thank you. I have considered how hard it would be. To have my first sexual abuse patient. To have a kid dying, to have missing parents, etc. I know it won't be easy. I do have one small advantage. I'm able to disassociate very well. Maybe too easily. Because of my emotionally abusive mother (and her family) and sexually abusive father and other...
Hello. Three questions. I'm considering DTaP, Prevnar, Hib and polio. 1.) I've read from unreliable sources that Hib and Prevnar is NOT needed after age 2. Most other sources say that only ONE dose is needed. Can anyone give me a good source that confirms that NO doses are needed? 2.) I'm in IL. DD has never been in day care, but may start when I resume school in January. By selective vaxing, I won't be able to use the religious exemption form, will I? If...
I really need to clarify something here. I started this thread because of THIS thread on "being child centered". The examples of being child centered described our home life perfectly. Someone on that thread suggested to me that I serve dd dinner and if she doesn't eat it, she doesn't get any new food until breakfast. I asked, "Can I really do that?" Which brought me here to ask these questions. I've never let DD (age 2.5) go hungry and I give her whatever...
Quote: Originally Posted by InMediasRes I think if there is a whole lot of power struggle all at once (you mentioned several different events) there is possibly something else going on and she doesn't really know how to voice it. I think she might have finally hit it when she asked for a hug, but she maybe had some very negative emotions that she needed to let out when she was throwing her fit outside. Maybe you could find a more healthy way for those...
Quote: Originally Posted by chfriend I would not leave my 2.5 year old alone in the car. I would not hide from them to see if they were going to comply. If my hands were full, I'd leave my packages and carry my kid in first. If I physically *could not* (not just me being pissy because I don't feel like it and I'm unappreciated by my toddler) carry my child in, I would sit and wait with her until she could walk. I was injured birthing and it caused...
Don't have much time, just wanted to reply real quick. DD is 2.5 years this month. I mainly use frozen veggies with the exception of some canned...like baby sweet pea's. It doesn't matter, she won't even try them. The fresh (from the farmer's market) corn on the cob was heavenly. It was so good I told her, "It tastes like candy...try it!" She actually tried it and spit it out. I made a chicken stir fry with veggies and sauce (soy sauce, flour and beef...
I've given dd (2.5yrs) one time-out so far. It worked and when she misbehaves all I have to do is say, "Would you like to sit in the time-out chair? If you don't do xyz, you're getting a time out". Then she complies with what I need her to do. The time out we did was over her not wanting to get dressed. I was getting ready for work and her dad was coming soon to get her. She threw a fit and fought me to get dressed. Finally, I took her kitchen chair and put it...
I found my calling and will be going back to school in January to complete my pre-req's and will hopefully be starting the nursing program summer 2011. Would love to chat with other MDC RN's. I'm a SA survivor. The worst part for me, as a very young child, was being held down by my mom, doc's and nurses for the exams. I have hated doc's and nurses all of my life. I've been terrified of hospitals. I ended up having a much unwanted CS in 2007. I had birth trauma...