or Connect

Posts by hippymomma69

My ex and I face similar issues with our oldest child....   I had been working part-time teaching music but the hours are usually after-school and weekends - right when the kids need a parent!   After a few incidents at school and home I had a long talk with my ex and we both decided that since I made less money, I would shift my schedule to be home in the afternoons and weekends with the kids and quit teaching music.  I will look for part-time work that is...
Quote: Originally Posted by LauraLoo Mama -- You need to read this: http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/nurtu...ing-badly.aspx There is such a huge emphasis on conformity and blind obedience in our society because it makes things easier for teachers & caretakers in the short run. I've had a teacher point blank tell me that my ds needed to conform. Thank goodness that I didn't try to crush his spirit. In the long run, what may have been a "problem" for...
Quote: Originally Posted by julianito Likewise, the kids in your daughter's class who are bullying may be getting the message its OK, or that your daughter is a problem, from the teacher. Bingo! That's exactly the dynamic...luckily there is a guy in the district office who is trying to help us find a better spot for her....the principal is useless (though a very nice guy). Thanks everyone for your empathy. It's great to talk with folks who...
So my DD (no diagnosis but suspected APD and ADHD according to the dev. ped. - barely on the PDD-NOS spectrum according to the school district) has had this ongoing issue at her school (not enough support, a teacher who doesn't want her in the classroom, 4 boys who are bullying her, etc - she's in kindy so this is our first experience with the local school). To make a long story short, both her teacher and one of the moms of the bullies made comments yesterday and today...
I can tell you what I did....I just started moving forward. I picked several things to do that seemed interesting -at least a little and started doing them. And eventually one things came through as the right direction. But I was pretty directionless for a while and looking for the silver bullet. Even if you choose something and you don't like it (hobby, job, volunteering, whatever) at least you will have eliminated one thing... LOL But just start moving forward...
I don't know what your budget is, but I think you can now buy microwaves that are ALSO convection ovens...our aunt has one - but it's built into the wall so I'm not sure if it's a complicated thing or if you can buy one that is stand-alone...maybe visit an appliance place or Loews to see what they have in cooking technology these days... Also a slow-cooker/crock-pot is a great way to make chicken.... good luck peace, robyn
thanks helpful tip! peace, robyn
thanks - good tip! are music teachers really in that much demand? what about the suzuki in the schools program? anyone know about that? peace, robyn eta: I've been a bit intimidated by the music education programs because many of them seem to assume that you know piano/and or have voice training...and the stuff about conducting seems kind of foreign to me - but maybe I just need to find the right program? thx
thanks that is so helpful! lots of good feedback and things to think about! peace, robyn
Thanks for the response so quickly! Yes I've checked out the website and it seems pretty straightforward. Because I've just started back and have not really been focusing on classical stuff, I'm not ready to do a comprehensive (one of the mozart pieces)...the piece for book 1-8 is the main piece I workshoped back in the day with Bill Starr and Hiroko (ack forgot her last name! my dad used to run a suzuki institute for 10 years - so I was just a kid when I had her) - a...