or Connect

Posts by SiValleySteph

My son is in K (public school in CA) and they go to the library 1x week. They check out a book and can take it home every week, as long as the return the book from the previous week. It doesn't seem to be overly managed, DS tells me he can choose whatever he wants. He seems to prefer non-fiction.
That's interesting. My son's class had the same assignment (in class, though) and the teacher went over different things you might see on an older person - glasses, wrinkles, gray hair, etc. - and drew a picture of what she thought she would look like. The assignment was not vague this way and lots of neat pictures were the result. It was part of the "100th day" celebration. I would be perplexed by the note you received as well. Also, it seems like too much emphasis...
Quote: Originally Posted by ZoshaMosha I should have clarified in my OP. I believe my DD is emotionally ready to go to K as well. I am just worried because it never occurred to me that many kids would be around ONE WHOLE YEAR older because of red-shirting. I don't know where you live or what thing are where you are. I live in CA with a Dec 2nd cutoff for K. After reading all these message boards (where it seemed that the majority was strongly...
My 5 year old is getting: Lego City corner Crayola art case (like a big wooden briefcase full of pastels, crayons, markets, etc) Pop up soccer goal Bendaroos Mini animal stampers Bakugan starter set To share with younger brother: Imaginext Dragon World Fortress + 2 accessories books, I think 6 paperback picture books In stocking: rudolph pez m&ms 2 small lego sets probably a small calculator
I'll add my experience as well. My son has a late September birthday, so many places this wouldn't have been an issue. Our cutoff is Dec 2nd, so he could go into Kinder when still 4. We were wavering based on online threads (such as this one), IRL comments from the principal, other parents, etc. - none were based on our son himself, but more an in general, younger boys should be held back. We didn't hold him back. He started Kindergarten in August and it has been...
Our school also has an excellent Y program on site. Unfortunately, when I went to register in the Spring, I found out I was 16 on a very long waitlist. I sent out emails to our neighboorhood mailing list for suggestions and found there were very few options. Luckily, another mom read my email, found she was on the waiting list, and then spearheaded an effort to get another classroom added to the program. I was so relieved that she was successful and spots opened up...
We had tons of toys. I was the 3rd of 4 girls. My favorites were the Cabbage Patch kids. I still remember (almost) all their names - Fayme Beluh, Fernanda Edith, Percy, Claire Lilah, and then a few others. I cherished them and saved them and all their clothes and accessories. Sadly the box got lost in a move, but maybe that was for the best. I wasn't allowed Barbies or later on, Nintendo (my older sisters protested them).
Hmmm, my son is using a Gaiam water bottle for school. We should probably switch to stainless steel, I suppose. If only we could find his missing Kleen Kanteen! I still need to take our Siggs back, too.
My son is getting a "Home Fun" packet every Monday that is turned in on Friday. It has usually 1-3 sheets per day plus will say "read for 20 minutes" on every day's assignment. The sheets compliment what the class is doing for the week. In addition, he has a monthly calendar with activities each day and you are to pick two assignements per week. This week he also brought home a keep book, so he has to read it 5 times to someone. If he is in a cooperative mode, he can...
Are girls shorts & boys shorts different? I got my son a pair in the boys section of Target that are black with a drawstring, they also had ones with stripes down the side, for about $6. He is (almost) 5, not even 40lbs. Since they have a functional drawstring, we can just cinch them tight. I think I got him a size 5. Just look like standard soccer shorts.