or Connect

Posts by SiValleySteph

Oh, you guys made me remember more things. They are doing journals. He already brought home the August journal. Mostly it's pictures now based on what stories they were read. They also make books in class and then they will bring them home and they read it to you 5 times through out the week and then you send it back. The book said "I can read" and then each page had a different word on it and the kids made pictures of the words, so it's word identification with the...
It's hard for me to say exactly what the cirricula is at DS's K. He's is one of the 4 year olds - his birthday is in a few weeks. I know they are doing Zoo Phonics. They've been working on colors, sorting, writing ... I volunteered in the classroom yesterday and at their 3 different "work" stations they had one with sorting and classifying for Math, one with drawing 5 purple items and dictating them to the parent volunteer and the other they were coloring large...
My son just started Kindergarten. He's been in full-time daycare since he was 7 months old. It has been a big change for us and I have felt quite teary at times. Now we have to drop 2 kids off seperately, his K is only half day, so he attends after school care, we have to fit in his homework in the evening, etc... There's no end in site to paying for daycare, either. His afterschool care actually costs more than we were paying for his daycare before. I have met lots...
Quote: Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife I was hoping to get all e-textbooks for my courses this semester that way I didn't have heavy books, and come to find out my Algebra class book is only offered in an online version - that way it's interactive to turn in our homework even. Just out of curiosity, is there a program that makes it really easy to enter in algebraic formulas and the like? I'm an engineer and I can't imagine doing much of...
My DH & I talk about this a fair amount as we are the products of inexpensive colleges. We both went to in-state colleges and had scholarships. We then both ended up at a top 3 grad school in our field for free (thank you research assistanships and fellowships). In some ways, I think it was easier to stand out and be the top students at our state colleges. In fairness, both our state colleges where top 10/top 15 in our field. DH actually went to an brand name...
I'm only on day 3 of packing lunch, so we will see how it goes. I've decided to send a small treat everyday in the lunchbox, like a single hershey's kiss, to DS from me. This week he is getting one minature peppermint pattie, the dark chocolate kind. He didn't eat it the first day and the second day he ate it after school (he didn't know what it was). I bet he eats it today! For birthdays, no cupcakes are allowed, but bringing a healthy snack to share is...
Quote: Originally Posted by WC_hapamama At the elementary school my kids attend, they do have a snack break, but the kids are supposed to bring their snacks/drinks from home. No communal snack, and sharing between kids is not allowed. Same here. My son's K teacher encourages birthday celebrations and you are allowed to bring a healthy snack to share for your child's special day. My son's birthday is next month, so we'll be doing this. Options...
I want to whine about our school supply list. It's not that long, but incredibly specific. Then I went to the store and couldn't find most of the stuff. For instance: 1 set of 10 large Crayola Classic colored felt tip markers (water base, no scented) I'm assumming water base means washable? But washable only comes in sets of 8. And our store didn't have any "classic" for the colors in the non-washable 10 pack. WTH - which one are they talking about? 2 boxes of 8...
What culture are the parents/grandparents? I have a co-worker whose son has been living with the grandparents in China for more than 2 years since her maternity leave was up. It seems unfathomable to me. My son's grandparents (also Chinese) said we should send them my older son for a few months when we were having our 2nd, but we declined.
Quote: Originally Posted by plunky My class used TI calculators and I had an HP graphing calculator that was very different than their's, but I did fine (many moons ago). That's what I was going to say. Reverse Polish Notation was awesome. I had my sister's hand me down. I ended up an engineer and got a new HP calculator when I went to college nad that's what most of us had instead of the TI. I wonder if anyone still uses those with the...