or Connect

Posts by Ygle

We do use some sugar, maple syrup and honey, but very rarely.  We gave up added sweeteners about 8 years ago and that pretty much meant giving up all packaged and restaurant foods... now we are a little more lax in our choices.  I don't know what sort of resources you would need for this?  We just made our own meals without adding any sweeteners.  Now that we do use the occasional sweeteners when I make recipes I use about 1/4 to 1/2 the amount called for and it's still...
My kids like sliced bananas stirred with cinnamon, raisins, and pecans... also greens with thawed frozen fruit, ground flax and crumbled walnuts
I really don't think it is very important at all.  One time we had the opportunity to join in with a semi-local vegan group and we found just the minimal amount of effort needed on our part wasn't worth it because besides the eschewing of the use of animal products we had very little in common.  Every once and awhile it's nice to vent and exchange recipes, but we have each other and the internet for that.  Some consider it an advantage to live in an area with a larger...
When I was about 9yo I had a steak kabob... I was encouraged to try a bite when I was at some celebration with family at a restaurant and no nonmeat options.  I remember being very hungry and when I tried it I actually found it very tasty and ended up eating almost the whole thing.  Later that evening and even for a couple days or so after I kept having this sensation of intense terror, like a bad nightmare gives you.  I just couldn't shake this feeling, it had become a...
Incredibly Delicious and Vegan Vittles
On that note, this is part of the reason I don't get too twitchy about honey myself (but only part, there's much more to it for me personally)  -- here's something from Dr.Michael Greger (of http://nutritionfacts.org/ ) on this http://www.satyamag.com/sept05/greger.html
We do have be careful about serving honey to vegans (I should say NOT serving honey to vegans) because we really don't consider it a vegan issue.  If I did, honestly, I would have a hard time justifying eating berries.  I wouldn't dream of wearing silk though. 
My kids definitely enjoy being vegan.  They are 16, 14, 7, and 4.  I can't imagine ever being bothered by it, isn't it usually the other way around?  We often hear from other kids that eating animals bothers them.  I know I was mortified when I made the connection when I was a kid (fortunately I had very understanding and accommodating parents so I wasn't forced to keep eating animals). 
I definitely agree that it's not until later that they develop the skills to formulate their thoughts in a critical and logical manner and this is just one of the many reasons I unschool (I have my own definition of that I guess.... I know a lot of people consider it child led learning for me it really is UNschool) because I do feel that the classroom instruction attempting to teach writing skills at this age actually does more harm than good.  I think learning to be a...
In addition to what others have said, for me the biggest benefit of having a decluttered home and unstuffed closets is that everyone in the home, and guests, can easily find things and put them away.  I've found I can maintain a well organized clean home easily with way, way more stuff (clutter, if you will!) if it's just me... but once I added in a hubby and four kids and then the occasional house guest I found with so many people using everything, getting into...