or Connect

Posts by dbsam

I usually give a choice of candy or play-doh. (The really young kids and the teens usually choose play-doh. I give 2-3 colors to each person so they can make something.) I buy the mini-sized but could not find them in bulk bags this year. I tried giving the Yummy Earth suckers one year. My children like them but the neighborhood kids didn't like them. For years we gave out the full sized candy bars and the kids would get so excited...but they are too expensive now...
Not sure which botanical gardens you visited, but I think I remember you saying you lived in the Chicagoland area.  If it was Taltree arboretum...watch for Groupons.  They frequently offer annua family memberships on Groupon for $45 which is less than the cost of one visit.  We typically paid ~$100 for a family membership.  (and if you haven't visited Taltree and your son likes railroad gardens you might want to make the trip to Taltree.)  We had our most productive school...
I think you may be correct.  We started LOF in September and haven't been doing it daily.  My daughter is in book 'E' and my son is in book 'D'.  My daughter works in spurts and will do quite a few chapters but not often.  My son likes to do one or two chapters a few times/week.  (I was comfortable using LOF alone until my son expressed an interest in going to PS for 5th grade and he said he does not want to be behind.  My concern was magnified because when I was on the...
Regarding Timez Attack...we bought the online home version a couple of years ago.  I'm not sure if it is set up the same now, but at the time there was a choice to purchase as a home user or a school.
There was a gummy skull in tonight's episode.There were a lot of gross ingredients in tonight's episodes - yuck!
Thank you moominmamma and Emaye. I have spent too many nights up late reading about math curricula!  I need to purchase one before another month slips by. Thank you for all your help.
moominmamma and Emaye, Did/do you use the US version or the Standards edition? I looked at the comparison of scope and sequence and am leaning toward the Standards edition. thx
 I have not heard of these programs.  We are not religious so I look for secular curriculum.    I'll look into them.  Thx
sorry...I shouldn't stay up until 4:00am and post - I do not make sense  .When I first gave them four digit problems w/carrying, they couldn't do it on paper...only with manipulatives.  However, once I showed them how to carry when adding or subtracting, they caught on right away and can do any number of digits now.  (I gave them worksheets several times a week for two weeks and they did fine; no matter how many digits.) The fact that Singapore does not have a lot of...
I am concerned that their non-traditional Montessori instruction might have left gaps in their math education; but I haven't identified all of the gaps.  Children who left the Montessori school after 5th or 6th grade did really well when they transferred to PS.  But children leaving after 2nd or 3th struggle and are considered behind in math.  I am not sure if this is because they have not completed the entire program or if it is because the Lower EL teachers changed a few...