or Connect

Posts by dbsam

Was he excited?My children were so excited when I opened their savings accounts (our bank calls them 'junior investment accounts').  I was hoping they would get a passbook like I had when I was little but they did not.  So every once in a while I show them their balance online.  They have a dog sitting 'business' in the neighborhood and enjoy seeing their balance increase.  They also get the contents of our change jars when they fill...it really adds up.
I agree.When my daughter was young she didn't care how her hair was cut so since age two I always had it cut in a chin length bob with the back a bit shorter.    It always looked neat and I think she looked great.  But around age 7 she decided she wanted long hair.  I wish she would cut it short again. About half of the girls my daughter knows had/have short hair.  I can't imagine anyone making fun of your daughter's haircut.
We have a ‘catwalk’ hallway upstairs.  Part of the hallway is open on one side, a portion is open on both sides, and a portion is closed on both sides.  I wasn’t worried about them falling through the railing but I was afraid they would climb or pull themselves up over the railing.  We had a gate at the base of the stairs so the kids could not go up alone.  We also had a gate further down the upstairs hallway so if the kids left their bedroom or playroom they could not get...
I didn't know you could freeze tomatoes! I didn’t get much done today, but the schooling part of our day went much better than yesterday.  ·         ‘school’·         went to the art supply store and Costco·         laundry – 3 loads·         made dinnerI ended up staying up too late last night and slept in this morning.  I told the kids to put together their own breakfast.  When they asked if they could have coffee cake and ice cream…I said ‘yes’.  I must have been really...
Thanks. Well, the morning started out great but went downhill after breakfast.  Homeschooling is not going as I planned, but I guess that is a post for another forum.   I am drained.    We are really easing into this but even the little bit I am asking is dragging on throughout the day and is interspersed with crying and unhappiness.   My energy picked up again late tonight (I am a night owl) and I was able to work for a couple of hours and got a LOT done.  My house is a...
I have not been on this thread for a while.  (I've been reading your posts but not posting myself.) I need to change the way I function.  For years, I’ve gotten caught up in the day-to-day cleaning, maintenance, cooking, etc. and have a difficult  time getting to procrastinated projects (like last year’s tax return ) or self-care like exercise, reading and sleep.  I intend to do it when everything else is caught up and perfect…but, of course, it is never caught up or...
My son really liked these books around his 8th birthday.  (My son was a reluctant reader; it sounds like your son might like these books at a younger age.)   Prairie Skies Series by Deborah Hopkinson Pioneer Summer Cabin in the Snow Our Kansas Home   He read to me and then we talked after he read because he had a lot of questions.  Although the reading is not difficult, the books deal with slavery, deaths from cholera, violence between the abolitionists and the...
My children would have been able to sit quietly through a concert at age five, but my nephew could not. OTOH, when we are at an event that encourages child participation (answering questions, dancing, being silly in front of strangers, etc.) my nephew jumps right in and my children sit off to the side looking miserable and petrified.  (My children are nine and are still like this...It happened today.  I had to remind myself that they are not outgoing or comfortable...
Do you live near a lake? My son has mild CP.  He is very high tone with a lot of strength but has trouble with his core muscles.  My daughter, who has epilepsy, is very low tone. We bought stand-up paddle boards last year when they were eight, just for fun.  The side effect is their core strength has increased significantly...and they love being on the SUP's.     Also, their school had yoga instead of gym.  The yoga improved their core strength and balance.
Thank you. Our peaches are gone but I will remember for next year. We are still picking apples and pears, and the plums will be ready soon, so I might try it with those.