or Connect

Posts by maighdhlin

Pre-DD I ran 20 miles a week. After she was born, I have tried a couple of times to get back on an exercise kick and each time I have come down with mastitis. Each time I have tried to start slowly when I started exercising again - I've tried slow jogging (i.e shuffling) walking on an incline, lifting light weights, stationary bike, etc. At first I blamed the sports bra and tried a new sports nursing bra. Then I blamed the impact (too much jiggling) and switched to low...
Actually we just had the same thing occur (I haven't been on Mothering for awhile bc of it). DD had a horrible week-long stomach virus and ended up needing IV fluids. She refused pedialyte. The doctor said that if she hadn't been BF'ing she would have had to have been admitted. At least some of the MM was staying down which kept the dehydration from getting to extreme and although getting an IV was horrible, at least we only had a 6 hour stint in the emergency room as...
DD is 15 mos. She used to go to bed like clock work between 8 and 8:30. Lately she starts getting fussy and rubbing her eyes and laying on the floor around 8, but for the life of me I can't get her to sleep. I nurse her to sleep each night, but lately she nurses for awhile and then is up and ready to go. This goes on until 10 or sometimes 11 at night. Finally she gets so over-tired that she just cries and then cries/nurses to sleep. it's awful - she gets so...
I often wonder the same thing. DD is 15 mos and sleeps much better on the nights that DH sleeps elsewhere (he's a HORRIBLE snorer). I'm not sure if its the snoring or his tossing and turning, but we definitely sleep better without him (although I hate having to admit that because I like having him so near).
First of all, all of your responses were great. Thanks for your support. I should have been more specific in my original post. My "friends" are actually work colleagues. Because we work together we have tended to socialize together. However, outside of the parenting issue, the relationships tend to get a little like a squabbling sorority, and it's generally pretty competitive and at times snide. So these people are in my life whether I want them to be or not. ...
This summer I went away for the weekend with my girlfriends. I co-sleep and nurse my DD down each night. And since she generally wakes up to nurse a couple times in the evening I just went to bed with her each night. This is pretty much my normal routine so I didn't think twice about it. My best friend (who is childless but completely supportive of my parenting choices) told me later that my other friends thought this was completely weird. Apparently it was discussed...
My DD has been giggling while nursing for a couple months now (she's 14 mos.). She also grabs my nose and smashes it since we've been teaching her where her nose is, etc. She also claps when I'm getting "unlatched". And lately it's the only thing that will calm her when she's upset or over tired. She loves to nurse so much that I'm thinking we're in this for the long haul....My DH and I joke that she'll be in college and I'll have to drive to her dorm twice a day! m
I agree with "it's our family" in her response. My DD is 13 mos. She used to nurse to sleep every time she fell asleep. Like your DS, her sleep patterns have always been a little out of the ordinary. She never napped well and never really slept through the night. She will sleep in the car and OCCASIONALLY will let herself be rocked to sleep. Otherwise she had to either nurse to sleep or take a bottle from DH or DCP to fall asleep. In the last few months it became...
Once we started an Elimination diet, my DD definitely started sleeping better. She still has wakeful periods when she's teething or fighting a cold, but on a whole it's MUCH better. Eliminating wheat seemed to be the key for us.
You all raise really good points. As I read your responses, I'm thinking we're more in the "annoyed" than the "we should switch" category. I think they're annoyed with her special diet, but they follow it. They do comfort the kids on their own level. In fact I did a "pop-in" and 3 of the 4 were actually on the floor with them hugging them and reading to them. My DH is an exception and not the rule at the center. I rarely see fathers pick up or drop off and...